1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Choice of pump (and CGM)

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Jemzor, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My pump DSN advised me doing a pump Suspend during a hypo is worse than a waste of time and I agree. There is no chance of it helping with the hypo and it creates an unexpected high later which can only worsen the normal hypo rebound effect.

I mean, maybe it would be useful for a very gradual overnight hypo - but far better just to wake the user up with a bloody loud and persistent alarm.

2. Jemzor

Jemzor Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Spiker the rep confirmed Animas is going down the route of reduced basal rather than suspend - largely because it is more representative of what a normal pancreas would actually do and it would therefore create less complications when managing sugar levels.

I see the benefit of smartguard in that it can prevent the hypo in the first place, but it's the after effect which still leaves questions to be answered.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Pudgem

Pudgem Type 1 · Member

Hi Jenzor.

I thought I would tell you about my recent choice, if it helps. I like you felt my decision was being steered by the cgm rather than the pump. Which is why initially I was all over the vibe. Then I heard about the 640g and insight and swung back and forth more times than I can remember.

I have now decided to go with the insight, and my reasons are:

For me, the remote is going to be a huge help. I have a busy job, in and out of the office, travelling, meetings and all sorts. The idea of getting the pump out at meeting etc to give bolus's was worrying me slightly.

I really did prefer an integrated system, but the 640g will cost more which I would prefer to avoid as will be self funding, and also I am not convinced at how reliable the smartguard will be given the spikes etc.

I have been reading a lot about the dexcom G5. This is obviously not yet out and is likely not to be until the end of this year at the earliest. The fact that this will communicate with my iPhone means I will not need a separate receiver, and given that the sensors last longer is a much more cost effective option.

I of course could be wrong about the dexcom and its features but from the presentations dexcom have done, it's certainly heading that way. Even if I am wrong, I cannot wait for the insight. It's a lovely looking pump, has the convenience of the pre filled cartridges, and the remote from what I have seen so far is amazing - a bg meter on steroids! I am sure it won't happen, but I secretly hope that accu-chek will eventually release a app to similar to the Dario app which could replace the remote. - I can keep dreaming!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pudgem

Pudgem Type 1 · Member

Sorry, Jemzor - auto correct!!

5. Spiker

You can go back and Edit your previous posts. :)

6. Spiker

The combination of the Insight pump, Dexcom G5 sensor and iPhone sounds pretty cool. If I was at the point of deciding on a pump and CGM today, I could well go for that. I would particularly like to have a decent remote for my pump. Or, well, any remote at all to be honest.

7. Pudgem

Pudgem Type 1 · Member

Oh yea, so I can - thanks for the tip Spiker!!

8. Heathero

Heathero Type 1 · Well-Known Member

9. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Now I don't know a huge amount about Smartguard, but from what I've read, the way it works is that it suspends at a pre-defined level set by the user and resumes at a different one. In theory then, you could set a suspend with a downward trend and a level of, say, 4.0, and resume at a level of 3.9 with an upward trend. If it's that clever of course...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Diamattic

Diamattic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@tim2000s - Thats pretty much it. The old Veo system had 'threshold Suspend' which would alarm like crazy and still make you confirm both the alarm, and the suspend. Which i see is no different then if an Animas pump alarmed at a low, and you just reduced the basal yourself for like an hour.

However, smart guard is different in that it doesn't alarm. It sees the trend going down, and suspends for you (unless you turn the feature off) and then tracks you BG and either alarms when you get to your low alarm, or turns your basal back on when you level out above the set level. The key thing is it does this all without you having to tell it. So if its at night you can stay asleep lol Unless of course it doesn't work and your low alarm goes off.

But i thin its a cool option, mostly because you can sleep though things, or continue to be active and not have to manually fiddle with alarms and junk when you wanna be playing hockey, or cycling, or driving.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook