Choice of pumps

golden oldie

I'm being given an NHS pump. I've narrowed the choice to between a YPSO pump with a tube, and an Omnipod5 patch pump. I would love to get members feedback on the pros and cons of each of these pumps please, as I have to choose between them.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @golden oldie
If you asked 10 people with insulin pumps what they think is the best insulin pump, you would probably get 10 different responses.
The reason for this is that they are all good but our requirements differ.
I recommend thinking about what is important to you and then ask about these features with regards to the pumps you are looking at.
For example
- I notice you have narrowed down both a tubed and tubeless pump. Have you considered where you will attach your pump - the tubeless one does not need somewhere to "hang" but will be fixed in a position for 3 days.
- How do you want to control your pump. Do you want a separate PDM (remote control) or do you think you would lose this and prefer to use an app on your phone? Or are you concerned about needing to keep your phone with you at all times?
- Do you have the option of an integrated CGM (either self-funded or provided by the NHS) and would you want to use Hybrid Closed loop either now or in the future? Or are you nervous about putting too much trust in the technology.
- Are you very sensitive to insulin and need very small doses?

Reactions: Marikev

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The ypsomed will be good if you have an android phone, and compatible cam

Otherwise I’d go omnipod

This will also partly depend on how much insulin you use omnipod hold 200u. Ypsomed 180u And these need to last 3 days

Tandem and the Medtronic hold 300u the Medtronic is able to be filled without removing the cannula

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Tandem can also be filled without removing the cannula.

It can, but it’s not designed to do that where Medtronic is

Also Medtronic has a 7 day canula