Cholesterol help

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need to eat a high fat diet but lower saturated fat or my LDL is crazy.
I think that is what has happened in my case too. Going to try more veg fat and see what happens.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that is what has happened in my case too. Going to try more veg fat and see what happens.
My results are similar - my total cholesterol has risen from 4.8 to 5.1 since last August and the breakdown is 1.3 HDL, 3.1 LDL and Triglycerides 0.7. Consequently the specture of statins has reared it's ugly head again but I am resisting!! Unfortunately I do not have my latest hba1c figure because they forgot to do it

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My results are similar - my total cholesterol has risen from 4.8 to 5.1 since last August and the breakdown is 1.3 HDL, 3.1 LDL and Triglycerides 0.7. Consequently the specture of statins has reared it's ugly head again but I am resisting!! Unfortunately I do not have my latest hba1c figure because they forgot to do it
That was clever of them. I repeated my cholesterol test yesterday to make sure it is correct. I am concerned that some people seem to have an exaggerated cholesterol response to LCHF. Your figures do not seem too bad, and the triglyceride figure is very good I think. According to Professor Sikaris is suggests the LDL will be the good type and not the bad small dense type. So you probably don't need statins.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have seen mentioned by others who have lost a lot of weight on LCHF that their cholesterol goes up for a while but then normalises. You could wait and see and read up on it in the meanwhile. As fas as I've heard there isn't really any hard evidence for the benefit of statins in women.
@Frodmella, Yes, cholesterol tends to rise when you first lose weight, but then it stabilises. My total and LDL cholesterol went up a lot in my first nine months on LCHF. After that they went down by 2 mmol. Google weight loss and cholesterol, and you'll find that's quite a common pattern.

After that on LCHF, while triglycerides continue to fall and HDL to rise, LDL tends to go down again, tho it often stays above the official targets.

You could try arguing that low trigs, high HDL and a good ratio between them, and also between HDL and LDL, is a better sign of cardiovascular health than presumed LDL (they don't actually measure it, just subtract it from TC).

You don't have to agree to take statins. I myself never would. No RCT has ever demonstrated lower mortality for women on statins (in fact the reverse), even in the badly flawed RCT reports we have. Ultimately it is your choice: if you wish, you can say No.

If an overview of the arguments required, download the Uffe Ravnskov book. I th it's The Cholesterol Myths that is now available free, because he just wants it read. Google it. He does seem to be a fairly reliable presenter of the studies.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That was clever of them. I repeated my cholesterol test yesterday to make sure it is correct. I am concerned that some people seem to have an exaggerated cholesterol response to LCHF. Your figures do not seem too bad, and the triglyceride figure is very good I think. According to Professor Sikaris is suggests the LDL will be the good type and not the bad small dense type. So you probably don't need statins.
Unfortunately they don't seem to look at the ratios just the overarching figures. I have no intention of going back onto statins as when I took them previously my hba1c rose from 48 to 54 and I felt awful so stopped taking them.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately they don't seem to look at the ratios just the overarching figures. I have no intention of going back onto statins as when I took them previously my hba1c rose from 48 to 54 and I felt awful so stopped taking them.
Yes. Waiting for the result of my repeated test. Doctor was going to call me........zzzzzz

Frodmella

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An update from the original poster. I had a fasting blood test done about 6 weeks after the one mentioned that caused the concern:
Total cholesterol 6 mmol/l
Triglycerides 1.6mmol/l
HDL 1.3 mmol/l

So doctor is no longer concerned. This is the first time that I have ever had triglycerides and HDL within the recommended levels and so I am very pleased. HDL is still going up and triglycerides are ok, though I hope that they will reduce further.

Interestingly I have read that artificial sweeteners may contribute to higher levels of triglyceride when on a LCHF diet. And I do use them in sugar free drinks etc. I may look into this further.

But overall thrilled that everything seems to be coming right and I feel great. Weight loss has stopped and I still have about 7 lb to go. But I will carry on eating this way as it is a lifetime way of eating and so the weight will be whatever it decides to be.

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An update from the original poster. I had a fasting blood test done about 6 weeks after the one mentioned that caused the concern:
Total cholesterol 6 mmol/l
Triglycerides 1.6mmol/l
HDL 1.3 mmol/l

So doctor is no longer concerned. This is the first time that I have ever had triglycerides and HDL within the recommended levels and so I am very pleased. HDL is still going up and triglycerides are ok, though I hope that they will reduce further.

Interestingly I have read that artificial sweeteners may contribute to higher levels of triglyceride when on a LCHF diet. And I do use them in sugar free drinks etc. I may look into this further.

But overall thrilled that everything seems to be coming right and I feel great. Weight loss has stopped and I still have about 7 lb to go. But I will carry on eating this way as it is a lifetime way of eating and so the weight will be whatever it decides to be.
Well done.. very impressive figures.. keep up the good work.
Hugs

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Want to thank 'Andbreath' for the link to Prof Ken Sikaris video , near top of this thread.

Today I had my annual blood test results and after 12months of LCHF I was rather concerned about the results. But having watched the video I now see that in fact its all good news. Although I dont expect the diabetic nurse I'm due to see will agree with me :(

A1c was 51 now 42
total cholesterol was 4.3 now 5.9
HDL was 1.1 now 1.6
LDl was 2.9 now 3.9
Tri (previous not known) now 0.8
HDL ratio 3.7

I was worried about increase in total cholesterol and LDL but having watched Prof Sikaris explain blood test results I now understand that my low Tri reading shows that all my LDL is of the good type , so I'm no longer worried.
I initially followed strict LCHF and lost weight (1.5st) but for the last 6mths have maintained my weight on a moderate LCHF diet, by moderate I mean I include berries/cheese/greek yog/ nuts in my diet daily. And I have to confess to a salted peanut addiction - I know salt and peanuts not as low carb as could be :(
One thing that really pleases me is that I've maintained my weight, something I've never done before when dieting, it normally piles back pretty soon.

Reactions: 4 people