Type 2 Cholesterol / Lipid profile after low-carb

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish we could have our ldl easily tested to see the size, plus I wish there was more actual evidence that the larger ldl is harmless rather than scientists saying it is without the proof.

You could look at it logically and ask why would our body want to cause itself harm when we eat the food that it thrives on?

Jo123

You could look at it logically and ask why would our body want to cause itself harm when we eat the food that it thrives on?
Yes, but I would like to see more evidence. I feel at the moment I'm playing safe! I did go back to some butter, cheese etc, once I'd got my ldl down, just not the quantity I did at the start of my low carbing journey.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, but I would like to see more evidence. I feel at the moment I'm playing safe! I did go back to some butter, cheese etc, once I'd got my ldl down, just not the quantity I did at the start of my low carbing journey.

Try this guy then..

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zamalik - Lipids can seem a bit mystical, and oftentimes I think they are as much a mystery to our GPs as they can be for us. I know I have certainly had some "interesting" conversations with GPs.

These are my historic lipid levels. I have had a more recent set, which have been discussed, but I haven't yet had the consultant's letter with the numbers in it:

View attachment 50294

The most recent bloods I have had done broadly reflect recent years, with the Total Cholesterol coming in at 7.6, if I recall correctly, and trigs at 0.8. Those bloods were done as part of my participation in a research study (which is still recruiting), looking at cardiac failure in those living with T2. I have no history of cardiac issues of any sort.

I had extensive tests - EGC, Stress/Exercise ECG, CT Scan, including an arterial calcium scan, then MRI and extended MRI, including an Adenosine stress test.

In discussing my results (and watching my own heart beat), the cardiologists were supremely unconcerned by my lipid panel. He was keen to emphasize he might view it differently had I had any form of cardiac event or have other underlying cardiac challenges. I took enormous heart from that.

I would urge you to expand your learning on lipids. If you haven't done so already, you might find some of Professor Ken Sikaris's presentations on YouTube to be helpful. He presentation style is very relaxed and clear.

As has been said, if you are in a weight loss phase, please don't be too quick to draw conclusions where your lipids are concerned. You may find your numbers moderate as your waistline slims.
@AndBreathe your HDL are impressive, mine was .88 and improved to 1.2 in 6 months, not sure if that's a decent improvement or not. However, can you through light on your food/exercise habits or anything that could actually make difference to HDL, i need it above 2 at any cost :) or is it just genetic?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe your HDL are impressive, mine was .88 and improved to 1.2 in 6 months, not sure if that's a decent improvement or not. However, can you through light on your food/exercise habits or anything that could actually make difference to HDL, i need it above 2 at any cost :) or is it just genetic?

Zamalik - Thank you for the kind words.

My eating style is reduced carbs, with balancing fats (to maintain weight), although I do eat more carbs now than I did during the remedial phase of my journey, as opposed to what I now consider to be maintenance. I keep myself busy, and keep moving, but I'm not a gym bunny, and like most people, the last 18 months has been a mixed bag in terms of exercising in a formal way. I have been keeping the garden spic and span though.

In terms of eating, I neither seek nor shun fats and don't spend a great deal of time analysing whether I'm on sats, unsats, or whatever - especially as few fats are solely one thing or the other.

Someone I respect very much advises people to moderate their carbs to satisfy the blood sugar meter, and to moderate the fats to satisfy the bathroom scales.

There may be some genetics going on here although my mother took a statin and my brother does. I will avoid them for as long as possible - ideally forever.