Cholesterol test...To fast or not to fast?

LizzieP

Morning all,

I just got refused my fasting cholesterol blood test at 8.30am this morning as I woke up with a reading of 3.7 at 7.30am (very unusual for me; sod's law) so had to have some lucozade to treat it (I had fasted for 12 hours before this). The nurse told me to go back to the clinic at 7am on Monday to try again. Obviously,this is annoying! :roll:

I have just seen this item on BBC from last year. What do we think? And how long do the rest of you fast for before a cholesterol test, if at all?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8353510.stm

Happy Friday everyone!

C

catherinecherub

Hi Lizzie,
Have read the article you put forward and would love it if I didn't have to fast for 12 hours.
I cannot make an appointment at the surgery for the blood test as they cannot find my veins without digging and causing massive bruising and sometimes no results with their barbaric methods. I attend the Hospital where they take it from my hands and have sometimes waited a further 3 hours to have bloods taken. No preference is given to fasting tests. I hope all GPs are aware of this article and that things will change soon.

Catherine.