Type 2 Cholesterol Test

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi, I am after some advice, I was diagnosed in April 17 with T2 and a HbA1c of 78. After 3 months I managed to get that down to HbA1c 44with the help of 80mg a day of Gliclazide and then being reduced to 40mg a day. I am interested in how to read my cholesterol test, as 18 months ago my doctor wanted to put me on statins but I refused. It has not been mentioned since. I can view my cholesterol results online but do not understand them.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Tracy

Reactions: Welshie56

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We would probably need to see the results... and if it's not too ruse a question ask your age as well.
The Doc's stance seems to be that anyone with diabetes needs to be taking a statin even though there is little to no science that it will do any good whatsoever.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, we can't help you understand them without knowing what they are (Total/HDL/LDL/Triglycerides) and as @bulkbiker suggests, your approximate age would help.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, hopefully I have added the page from my results and my age is 53.
d773faed7e5d8a715c798619dfdd1063.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK your triglycerides are quite high.. had you fasted before this blood test or had you eaten before the bloods were taken?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Total cholesterol 7.5
Triglycerides 3.3 (should be under 0.17)
HDL 1.1 (should be over 1.2)
LDL 4.9 (should be under 3)
Total/HDL ratio 6.8 (preferably under 5)
Non HDL 6.4 (preferably under 3.4)

The most important ratio is the Triglyceride/HDL ratio.
Yours is 3 (preferably under 0.87)

I see these were fasting tests - did you actually fast or did you cheat in some way?

The HDL is good cholesterol and needs to be as high as possible
The triglycerides are the baddies and should be as low as possible (when fasting)

We asked your age (very rudely!!) because in older women (post menopausal) a higher cholesterol is better than a low one.

Does that help?

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi the triglycerides worry me a little, I do have high blood pressure and I am on amlodipine, also my mother had high cholesterol so I guess that adds to the problem.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But the most important question that you haven't answered is... did you eat before they took the blood test?

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Total cholesterol 7.5
Triglycerides 3.3 (should be under 0.17)
HDL 1.1 (should be over 1.2)
LDL 4.9 (should be under 3)
Total/HDL ratio 6.8 (preferably under 5)
Non HDL 6.4 (preferably under 3.4)

The most important ratio is the Triglyceride/HDL ratio.
Yours is 3 (preferably under 0.87)

I see these were fasting tests - did you actually fast or did you cheat in some way?

The HDL is good cholesterol and needs to be as high as possible
The triglycerides are the baddies and should be as low as possible (when fasting)

We asked your age (very rudely!!) because in older women (post menopausal) a higher cholesterol is better than a low one.

Does that help?

I am sure they were fasting but they were done in April 2016, I don't think I have had any others.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the best ways to sort out cholesterol is to eat low carb.

What is a typical days food/ meals for you?

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have found another one that was done in March 2017 but it does not mention triglycerides.
eee8ef6f71c063918dc14e88ae02e57c.jpg

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have found another one that was done in March 2017 but it does not mention triglycerides.
eee8ef6f71c063918dc14e88ae02e57c.jpg

I must add that at the time this was done in March I was suffering from two infections and only when I asked for a blood glucose test I was diagnosed as diabetic..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From your latest test results it seems only your total cholesterol was measured (at 7)

You were only diagnosed on this latest set of resuts from 2017?

The 2016 ones showed you with a fasting plasma glucose of 8.2 and the lab suggested a repeat test. You should have been given an HbA1c at that time. You were most likely diabetic back then, or very much heading that way.

All the figures in brackets after your scores are the normal reference ranges

Last edited:

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
From your latest test results it seems only your total cholesterol was measured (at 7)

You were only diagnosed on this latest set of resuts from 2017?

The 2016 ones showed you as diabetic!

Bluetit1802 yes I know and my HbA1c was 56 in 2016 and in my notes it says no further action needed, if action was taken then I would not have had a HbA1c of 78 in March 2017 and felt so poorly. I can't change what happened or didn't happen I can only improve now, my latest HbA1c was 44 in June so was very pleased with that, thank you for your help. Tracy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit1802 yes I know and my HbA1c was 56 in 2016 and in my notes it says no further action needed, if action was taken then I would not have had a HbA1c of 78 in March 2017 and felt so poorly. I can't change what happened or didn't happen I can only improve now, my latest HbA1c was 44 in June so was very pleased with that, thank you for your help. Tracy

Your GP has made a bad mistake for not following up your 2016 scores. However, as you say, you can't change the past, and very well done for getting right down to 44. :)

Now your test results are on-line you must keep an eye on all your scores - not just the blood glucose and cholesterol ones, but also all the others, which include kidney and liver functions that are so important for all of us. I would no longer be trusting your surgery on these matters!

Reactions: Welshie56

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure they were fasting but they were done in April 2016, I don't think I have had any others.

How about you try and get another test done and then we can have a look?
Have you changed your diet to get your HbA1c down from 78 to 44 or are you doing it with meds?
Would be interesting to see how your cholesterol has changed. Just remember to fast for this one and it should be more representative. As your doc has already expressed concern about your cholesterol levels then they should be ok with another test.. (or at least that's the argument I would use if any problems).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about you try and get another test done and then we can have a look?
Have you changed your diet to get your HbA1c down from 78 to 44 or are you doing it with meds?
Would be interesting to see how your cholesterol has changed. Just remember to fast for this one and it should be more representative. As your doc has already expressed concern about your cholesterol levels then they should be ok with another test.. (or at least that's the argument I would use if any problems).

The original 2016 was fasting - it says so on the lab report!

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Your GP has made a bad mistake for not following up your 2016 scores. However, as you say, you can't change the past, and very well done for getting right down to 44. :)

Now your test results are on-line you must keep an eye on all your scores - not just the blood glucose and cholesterol ones, but also all the others, which include kidney and liver functions that are so important for all of us. I would no longer be trusting your surgery on these matters!

Bluetit1802 I have included the part where my HbA1c was 54.
4ab6c7e386c09ed4ad57ec266bf68950.jpg