Cholesterol.

simply_h

Hello,

Hope you are all well, been to doctors this morning for somthing tolally non related to diabetes.

Then, as he was checking his screen and hum-ing to himself he said, ohh yes cholesterol, yours in high.

I said yes but my HDL's and Trigs are all very good, so I am not taking your tablets. So he gave a good telling off (in one ear, out the other).

So I asked him to do a ldl gradient test, to find out what my LDL contains, he looked at me confused at first and then said the NHS dont to this test, and that I should do as my told and take the tablets.

I said to him, that I would be happy to take the tablets if you arrage for me to have that test and told him that the NHS to have this test, as that would prove if I actually need to take the satins, than just trying to make "ME" fit into a set of numbers.

But it was no joy from my GP.. Has anyone ever had an ldl gradient test, to show, what type of ldl's particles they had?

My last Cholesterol results are below, doctor also did say I could have an heart attack in less than 5 years, which is a worry for me. :shock:

As I feel fine, resting heart rate is always beteween 55 - 65 beats per min, i low carb and do weights and cardio 4 times per week, weigh 64kgs at 5"7 tall.
July 2012
HDL 1.46
LDL 5.3
Trigs 1.0
HbA1c – 5.7%

Any idea?
Cheers
Simply.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
simply_h wrote
doctor also did say I could have an heart attack in less than 5 years, which is a worry for me

My take is that the worry is more likely to kill you than the LDL level.

Have you read The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr Malcolm Kendrick ?

What are the stand-out problems associated with the LDL hypothesis that just cannot be explained, no matter how hard you try ? I think that these are three killer questions.
1. Why don't veins develop atherosclerosis ?
2. Why does atherosclerosis develop in discrete (separate) plaques ?
3. If a high LDL level causes atherosclerosis, how can people with low LDL levels get the same disease ?

and I love it when he says

after many decades, and hundreds of millions of pounds spent, no one truly has the faintest idea exactly how LDL causes heart disease. But you would never believe this from listening to the experts talk

I would gently remind your GP that you are ultimately responsible for your own health, as you have to suffer any consequences :(

Don't expect an LDL gradient test any time soon. Not on the NHS :lol:

Geoff
p.s. Kendrick is not a lone voice about cholesterol. Some will always follow the 'experts' though.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Simply_h your results are almost Identical to mine, I asked for second test and rang this morning for results all Nurse said was they are still high and I suggest you start taking my Statins again, but I am undecided as to what to do? It is a hard one as my cholesterol has gone higher since I stopped taking them in May and went over to low carb diet. :think: Have a read of this with regard to Dr Malcolm Kendrick it does contradict all that GP's are telling you some what.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... terol.html

Serum 7.5
HDL 1.4
LDL 5.3
Trigs 1.7
HbA1c – 5.4

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
RoyG wrote
It is a hard one as my cholesterol has gone higher since I stopped taking them in May and went over to low carb diet.

I know that my total went up since diagnosis, and turning to low carb. This shocked me, but it appears this can be due to a rise in HDL. I didn't have a lipid profile taken, so will never find out.

My GP wanted to take the statin route, but I gently declined :D

Geoff
ps Total is a fairly meaningless figure, especially so as you get older.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
My Feb results compared with July's results, Feb's are prior to diagnosis,
Serum 5.4
HDL 1.2
LDL 2.9
Trigs 2.9
So there is a marked difference but also my HDL has gone up too along with my LDL which has had a big jump.

Mileana

Are any of your people with the higher LDL's currently trying/actually losing weight?

Because my dietician said that while losing weight, LDL would increase, then later stabilise.

Mine has crept up a bit while my total is still going down (trigs declining). I plan to give it at least until I reach a sensible weight before I panic after having heard that, but it may be a different scenario for you lot.

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be interested if anyone has any sort of take on my readings.

I used to have really low cholesterol, up until 12 years ago I did loads of exercise - 3 x 50 mile bike rides a week, weight training 3 times a week, indoor bike for an hour 3 times a week. Then managed to shred the cartilage in both knees, which has taken until now to really mend properly. I was 49 kilos at 5'4", non-diabetic, knackered thyroid, Very low food intake, especially low in red meat and cheese, in fact low in all fats and dairy, pretty low in carbs too about 120-130 a day.

Now, 60 years old, 5'4" (but might have shrunk a bit) 54 kilos. Just started back on the indoor bike.But do huge amounts in the garden (its huge - a field in fact) so no shortage of hard physical exercise. Eat red meat about once or twice a month. Occasional bit of cheese, a couple of ounzes a week. Was on a lowish carb regime, just cut down a bit more (now about 70g a day). Never eaten much in the way of processed food, biscuits, cakes, sweets, etc. etc. etc. In fact only get cake when our neighbour gives us one that she has baked and OH has not eaten!

My cholesterol readings are HDL 1,6, LDL 5,86, and Trigs 1,58 and my Hb1ac is 6.3 ?

doctor keeps putting me on statins, which I don't take.

Perhaps I should have eaten loads of crisps and cakes and choc bars and puddings and . . . and . . .

So, how much does diet really play in cholesterol levels, OK its not good to be overweight for many reasons, but its not the only cause of problems.

Philip99

I am a bit confused as I had my cholesterol test done and all I got was a "5".

Nothing about hdl, ldl etc tec.

So is "5" high, low, normal?

I am guessing its not ttoooo bad as they said not to worry about it???

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Philip99 said:
I am a bit confused as I had my cholesterol test done and all I got was a "5".

Nothing about hdl, ldl etc tec.

So is "5" high, low, normal?

I am guessing its not ttoooo bad as they said not to worry about it???

Next time ask for a fasting test and say you want a full lipid breakdown of your cholesterol.

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting article, but only have the odd glass of wine, eat mainly poultry (home grown, very very low fat), lots of home grown veg and fruit. Not much dairy. Plenty of exercise. Not overweight. Gave up smoking about 30 years ago, blood pressure always on the low side, late menopause . But, looks like I am heading for Diabetes, dodgy thyroid, Reynauds syndrome (**** circulation), Dad died at 54 years with heart attack (he was skinny and did physical work), Mum had numerous small heart attacks and finally succumbed to a stroke. Don't know what their cholesterol was like I don't think that they tested back then ! ! Also brother, sister and two nieces with diabetes, and two sisters and two nieces with thyroid problems.

So, I guess I deduce that in my case its probably more to do with the cards that I was born with ! Can't do much about that though.

Nikkig

Mileana said:
Are any of your people with the higher LDL's currently trying/actually losing weight?

Because my dietician said that while losing weight, LDL would increase, then later stabilise.

Mine has crept up a bit while my total is still going down (trigs declining). I plan to give it at least until I reach a sensible weight before I panic after having heard that, but it may be a different scenario for you lot.

My LDL has risen slightly, HDL reduced, weight down by over 1 stone. I'm glad you have been told that LDL will stabilise as I have been eating runner beans from the garden to get the LDL down! ( I read that legumes are a good way to reduce LDL) :crazy:

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
simply_h wrote
HDL 1.46
LDL 5.3
Trigs 1.0
HbA1c – 5.7%

Any idea?

After further research I've discovered that when trigs are below 1.1 then LDL, which is usually ESTIMATED, is likely to be OVERESTIMATED.
Low carb diets may increase LDL, but increase the particle size (a good thing)
As Michael Eades concludes per http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/weig ... -the-myth/ :

The moral of this story is that if you have been following a low-carb diet and your triglycerides are low (or if your triglycerides are just low) and your LDL reading comes out a little high – or even a lot high, don’t let anyone mule you into going on a statin or undergoing any therapy for an elevated LDL. Demand to have a direct measurement of your LDL done.
What we do know based on the work of many is that low-carb diets change LDL particles to the large, fluffy, harmless variety. Thanks to these other papers we also know that the LDL levels so many people end up with on their lab reports after being on low-carb diets for a while are artificially high.

Now when you hear people say that low-carb diets may help you lose weight but run your LDL levels up and increase your risk for heart disease, you’ll know this is just so much gibberish.

I love learning new things :D

Geoff

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
librarising said:
I love learning new things :D
Geoff

That's an interesting read Geoff thanks. I am wondering if it would explain why I got divergent LDL readings within a week of each other the last time I had my tests. The first test came back with an LDL level almost double what it was 3 months earlier. When I asked for a recount the second test done less than a week later came back with a nigh on identical LDL level to what it had been 3 months earlier yet LDL levels are supposed to only vary slowly overtime. If it happens again I'll ask the doc to get a direct LDL measurement done and see what happens.

simply_h

Thank you guys and girls for all the information in this one, as I was really worried about this Cholesterol / LDL issue that I am having currently and the G.P was on my case too.

So I shall stop worrying as much and just carry on with what I am doing, as Low(er) carbing seems to be doing the trick for me.

Thank you.

Cheers
Simply.