Choosing my pump....HELP!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

After a long wait, I'm at the point where I have to choose my pump. The choices are...

Accu Check Insight
Animas Vibe
Medtronic 640g

I had always assumed I would go for the Insight as the Bluetooth remote seemed a killer feature - however there are obviously a few pros and cons to them all...

Insight....
Has pre-filled cartridges...but only 160 units
Not fully waterproof
Is the remote a little bit unresponsive??
No built in CGM...although I tend to use the Libe (lot cheaper)
Built in BG tester
Have to carry an extra remote
The remote in particular seems a bit flimsy

Animas....
Sees very ruggedly built
Fully waterproof
CGM receiver
Screen a bit old fashioned looking
Self filled vials

Medtronic....
Good looking screen
CGM receiver built in
Waterproof
Can use the Contour Next Link as a basic remote
Can hold up to 300units...albeit self filled

Those are just a few observations I have made as a non pump user who has never owned a pump - just wondering if anyone can chip in with any personal experience about what features are most important....or equally, become the most annoying???

I will be a first time pump user, fairly high insulin requirement, quite technical, Freestyle Libre user.

Thanks,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a pump user, but might be better to post this in the Insulin Pump forum - I'd be interest in what feed back you get though!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have only got experience of the Insight, but at a recent get together of lots of type 1s on all sorts of different pumps I was delighted to have absolutely zero pump envy! I was very happy to feel that I'm on the perfect one for me. Jackpot!

I love the fact that my pump is completely hidden and I don't ever have to fiddle with it when I'm out and about, thanks to the remote.

The remote is not as responsive as, say, a smartphone, but it's fine. Every week I do a reboot to streamline it a bit, as recommended by the Roche rep.

Customer service is good.

It fits perfectly in the S sized Hid-in multiway bodyband (other pump belts are available but I love that one), and doesn't need to be visible at any time in everyday life.

Cannulas are fine and easy to insert.

Changing a cartridge is very easy - they're pre-filled, so off you go. A 1.6ml cartridge lasts me 6-7 days.

I don't need it to be waterproof - I shower at least once a day and swim 3-4 times a week - disconnecting it for these activities is absolutely no issue for me at all.

Hope this helps, @davidhughes1984 .

:happy::happy::happy:

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a pump user, but might be better to post this in the Insulin Pump forum - I'd be interest in what feed back you get though!
Thanks...I have posted same question in the pump forum (couldn't work out how to move...)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the 640G which I think is great. I also get funding for the Enlite sensors and think it's fantastic just having a quick look at the screen to see what's happening with my blood sugar.

The only thing I don't like is the clip which comes with the pump. It is very flimsy compared to Medtronic's previous pump. Many people don't use a clip, so that possibly wouldn't be a problem to you.

You will find that the majority of pumpers think their own pump is wonderful (it's what they are used to). Have you been able to hold all the pumps, pushing buttons, feeling reservoirs etc? This might make a difference to your choice.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You will find that the majority of pumpers think their own pump is wonderful (it's what they are used to).
I would think you're right, @dancer !

I'm actually really happy that I didn't get to choose (basically this was the one they suggested, and I said 'OK'!) because I would have really struggled to narrow it down!

:)