Christmas treats!!!!

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a fan of Christmas. But I'm finding myself using it as a excuse
"Go on eat it it's Christmas "
I've not given in to temptation yet closest i got was walking round the whole super market with a tub of roses chocolates in my trolly and ironically got to the bread isle and looked at the chocolates and put them back next to the warburtons thick white sliced ha ha
If I do become weak and fail I'm guessing obviously my BS will rise but it will come down again, but will that weak chocolatey moment (if if happens) have a detrimental effect on my hba1c in January??

Reactions: Freema

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with walnut face, go for the high cocoa chocolate - a) doesn't have as much sugar and b) you'll only need a small amount to feed you chocolate craving/addiction............!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The art is in finding nice suitable low carb alternative treats, and believe me there are plenty to be found or made.

And you should concern yourself more about what any nasty spikes could possibly do to you rather than any secondary effect they might have on your HbA1c numbers, if you see what I mean! :D

Robbity

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did indeed buy some green and blacks 85% and it's very nice I've looked at a few friendly treats to make but I'm also concerned that if I make them and they are nice I will continue to eat eat and eat more terrible discipline so it may be beneficial to not bother and just but I nice cheese board instead

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Moi?

jessica_rabbit__you_devil_by_jacanepa.jpg

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you make fat bombs you will probably find that you can't gorge on them as they are RICH beyond belief. They are also very very yummy and very very low carb.

@chalup I like the sound of fat bombs but do they not just leave a fatty oily residue in your mouth??

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you are at home on Christmas day and you are doing the cooking you can obviously control what you have to eat but it is not so easy when you are at someone else's house. We are both T2's and will be at our daughters for two days at Christmas and I would not for a minute expect her to do anything different for us. It is always stressful cooking for more people at Christmas without the added hassle of providing something else they would not normally have cooked. We will have our Christmas dinner with all the trimmings even the roasties..it is Christmas...and really enjoy it and when it comes to the sweet stuff we can choose to have some as a treat or not, for me it will probably be not as I never had much of a sweet tooth even before diabetes but my husband will not be able to resist having something naughty

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in a January and therefore my HbA1c tests would normally have been in July and January. I did a bit of manipulation with this so that my tests became December and June, hence I had plenty of time to recover after Christmas. ;)

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in a January and therefore my HbA1c tests would normally have been in July and January. I did a bit of manipulation with this so that my tests became December and June, hence I had plenty of time to recover after Christmas. ;)

Sneaky lol good work

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are both T2's and will be at our daughters for two days at Christmas and I would not for a minute expect her to do anything different for us.....

But why? Diabetes doesn't go on holiday, does it? I can appreciate why you don't want to impose, but isn't your health more important? (And I'm not having a go - just concerned. ...as part of this community, we all have to look out for our own...)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But why? Diabetes doesn't go on holiday, does it? I can appreciate why you don't want to impose, but isn't your health more important? (And I'm not having a go - just concerned. ...as part of this community, we all have to look out for our own...)
I don't think eating a few more carbs than we usually do like a couple of roasties a bit of trifle or a mince pie is going to give us any long term problems. I don't usually eat any sweet stuff but I do love a mince pie so will definitely be having at least one and that will be my treat.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@chalup I like the sound of fat bombs but do they not just leave a fatty oily residue in your mouth??
I guess it depends on which ones you make and there are thousands of recipes out there. The ones I sometimes make do not do that they just melt in your mouth like any good high quality chocolate will.

Reactions: Terryrhino