CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Beer Goggles

Sorry for screaming the title, but Christmas is approaching and I want a traditional yummy time.
But wait. No Christmas Pudding, no yorkshire pud, no potatoes, no candy, no crumble, no mince pies, no beer, no bread sauce, no cranberry sauce, no icecream, no stuffing, no chockies, no gingerbread, no cookies, no no no no no etc etc.
Say it isn't so. :!:
:thumbdown: :***: :x :( :cry: :evil:

WhitbyJet

Don't panic, it all depends on how low carb you want or need to go.
But you need to get yourself organised and be willing to be a bit flexible and open to try some new things.
Last year I made a very rich chocolate sponge I mixed in some dried blueberries and it was a good substitute for traditional Christmas pudding.
I bake my own cookies mincepies and make truffles.
Instead of potatoes I make cauliflower roasties or cut turnip or swede into chunks and wrap half a rasher of bacon round and roast or we have a deliciously creamy celeriac dauphinoise with the turkey or whatever roast we are having.
I make my own stuffing using home baked low carb bread and it makes a nice bread sauce as well. Make your own sugarfree cranberry sauce and a boozy low carb trifle and or ice cream.
Most recipes for these are in the low carb recipe thread or in the Chocolate Paradise thread. And we have been lucky to have the Ice Cream Emporium in here as well.
I hope some of this helps

Beer Goggles

WhitbyJet said:
Don't panic, it all depends on how low carb you want or need to go.
But you need to get yourself organised and be willing to be a bit flexible and open to try some new things.
Last year I made a very rich chocolate sponge I mixed in some dried blueberries and it was a good substitute for traditional Christmas pudding.
I bake my own cookies mincepies and make truffles.
Instead of potatoes I make cauliflower roasties or cut turnip or swede into chunks and wrap half a rasher of bacon round and roast or we have a deliciously creamy celeriac dauphinoise with the turkey or whatever roast we are having.
I make my own stuffing using home baked low carb bread and it makes a nice bread sauce as well. Make your own sugarfree cranberry sauce and a boozy low carb trifle and or ice cream.
Most recipes for these are in the low carb recipe thread or in the Chocolate Paradise thread. And we have been lucky to have the Ice Cream Emporium in here as well.
I hope some of this helps
Thanks ***** cat. I can do without the sweet stuff without too many tears but Yorkshire Pud, Roast Potatoes, and Stuffing are gonna break my heart and I'm not sure cauliflower is gonna float my boat. I'll look into celeriac, turnip and swedes though. Fingers crossed.

WhitbyJet

A small Yorkshire pudding wont cause all that damage if you make sure all the other stuff is low carb, same with roast potatoes. BUT do try the cauliflower roasties, make them now before Christmas, you will find they dont taste much like cauliflower at all.

But since its Christmas and if you feel you really cant or dont want to go very low carb then just eat the carby stuff in moderation and more turkey and low carb veggies instead.
And if you go ott completely then just make sure that you get better control once the festivities are over. Each to their own, circumstances, people, etc are all different, there is no right or wrong. I only told what I am doing over Christmas.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a good Christmas, and I wish you good health and all that you wish for yourself.

Beer Goggles

WhitbyJet said:
A small Yorkshire pudding wont cause all that damage if you make sure all the other stuff is low carb, same with roast potatoes. BUT do try the cauliflower roasties, make them now before Christmas, you will find they dont taste much like cauliflower at all.

But since its Christmas and if you feel you really cant or dont want to go very low carb then just eat the carby stuff in moderation and more turkey and low carb veggies instead.
And if you go ott completely then just make sure that you get better control once the festivities are over. Each to their own, circumstances, people, etc are all different, there is no right or wrong. I only told what I am doing over Christmas.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a good Christmas, and I wish you good health and all that you wish for yourself.

Cheers WhitbyJet
I'm thinking that a day or two off will be seen as a bit risky in some folks eyes, but I'm probably gonna take Christmas and Boxing a bit less rigidly than I have been doing so far. Still gonna look into alternatives and also gonna load up on runner beans (one of the few veggies I like). Bread sauce is another classic that I'll miss, but won't cry too much about. I'm goona look into diabetic gravy granuals too instead of deglazing a fatty pan.
One question though...
How do I cook those roasty cauliwobbles?

BlindFaith

I've just found a recipe for Yorkies from our lovely WhitbyJet:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30212

Atkins Low Carb Yorkshire Pudding
Serves: 9
Calories: 137
Net Carbs: 2.5 g
Protein: 7.0 g
Fat: 11.0 g
Ingredients

Ingredients A:

1/2 cup soya powder
1/4 cup wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup (240ml) whole milk
Ingredient B:

1/3 cup beef drippings (fats collected from cooking beef)
Directions

Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C.
Put ingredients A in a bowl and whisk until well blended.
In an 8” square baking dish, pour in ingredient B. Then, put in the middle rack of the preheated oven for 5 minutes, until smoke starts to come out.
Pour in the batter and bake for about 15 minutes.
Then, reduce oven temperature 350°F/175°C and continue to bake for another 20 minutes, until pudding becomes lightly browned.
Best serve while still hot.

Hope you don't mind me copying it here, Whitby?? :)

Beer Goggles

BlindFaith said:
I've just found a recipe for Yorkies from our lovely WhitbyJet:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30212

Atkins Low Carb Yorkshire Pudding
Serves: 9
Calories: 137
Net Carbs: 2.5 g
Protein: 7.0 g
Fat: 11.0 g
Ingredients

Ingredients A:

1/2 cup soya powder
1/4 cup wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup (240ml) whole milk
Ingredient B:

1/3 cup beef drippings (fats collected from cooking beef)
Directions

Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C.
Put ingredients A in a bowl and whisk until well blended.
In an 8” square baking dish, pour in ingredient B. Then, put in the middle rack of the preheated oven for 5 minutes, until smoke starts to come out.
Pour in the batter and bake for about 15 minutes.
Then, reduce oven temperature 350°F/175°C and continue to bake for another 20 minutes, until pudding becomes lightly browned.
Best serve while still hot.

Hope you don't mind me copying it here, Whitby?? :)

Legendary!!! I can't wait to try that out. Cheers!!!

SueR

I understand every ones concerns about high carbs at Christmas, but it's the one meal when I do slightly relax.

I always buy a turkey crown - which is breast meat only - as we tend to waste the rest of the bird. I do roast veg - carrots, parsnips, onions and potatoes. We also have sprouts - which I hate - and peas with it. Yorkshire puddings and stuffing are eaten in moderation and I like a small amount of cranberry sauce too. I hate Christmas pudding, so make a low sugar trifle and I make sure there is ice cream in the freezer too. We rarely eat mince pies and stick to savoury stuff if snacking.

It's one meal in a year and I feel strongly that we should be able to enjoy it without too much worry. I have gone into a major panic in the past and Christmas has been a horrid time for us - we are both diabetic. Boxing day and we are back to stricter eating with salads and lots of veg with the turkey breast.

I don't consider that taking a day off to be risky, I consider it to be a break from the tedium of diabetes. The little holiday does us good and we are even more determined to stick to the low carb, no sugar diet for the rest of the year.

Beer Goggles

SueR said:
I understand every ones concerns about high carbs at Christmas, but it's the one meal when I do slightly relax.

I always buy a turkey crown - which is breast meat only - as we tend to waste the rest of the bird. I do roast veg - carrots, parsnips, onions and potatoes. We also have sprouts - which I hate - and peas with it. Yorkshire puddings and stuffing are eaten in moderation and I like a small amount of cranberry sauce too. I hate Christmas pudding, so make a low sugar trifle and I make sure there is ice cream in the freezer too. We rarely eat mince pies and stick to savoury stuff if snacking.

It's one meal in a year and I feel strongly that we should be able to enjoy it without too much worry. I have gone into a major panic in the past and Christmas has been a horrid time for us - we are both diabetic. Boxing day and we are back to stricter eating with salads and lots of veg with the turkey breast.

I don't consider that taking a day off to be risky, I consider it to be a break from the tedium of diabetes. The little holiday does us good and we are even more determined to stick to the low carb, no sugar diet for the rest of the year.

I'm now getting to grips with diabetes. And after experimenting with roast cauli florets and roast swedes instead of roast spuds, as well as a failed soy flour yorkshire that was like a doughy peanut omelette. (It actually lowered my blood sugars though, but was hard to swallow). I've come to the conclusion that I will continue experimenting with substitutes but for 3 split up days over Xmas I'm having a proper Chrimbo dinner. I'm skipping chockys, mince pies and pudding etc as, for me thats more about tradition than actually yearning it. Gonna stack brocolli, runners, carrots etc on high to help dillute the carbs a bit, but otherwise. My table drink will be a single wine or beer and I'll have rooibus tea after instead of coffee so as not to speed up the sugar digestion, plus rooibus has a lot of good health properties. Mainly though, bar a few sacrifices, I'm eating a proper Chrimbo dinner. Yippee!!

welsh_kev

Got my first diabetic christmas day planned.
Im normally ultra low carb but have decided to try and have a fairly normal day.
Plan is..

Up early and go for a brisk walk
Breakfast
Mid morning walk
Lunch
Mid afternoon walk
Tea
Evening walk

So all in all probably walk about 16 mile in the day which will help me with all the carbs..

Kev..merry christmas xx

Beer Goggles

welsh_kev said:
Got my first diabetic christmas day planned.
Im normally ultra low carb but have decided to try and have a fairly normal day.
Plan is..

Up early and go for a brisk walk
Breakfast
Mid morning walk
Lunch
Mid afternoon walk
Tea
Evening walk

So all in all probably walk about 16 mile in the day which will help me with all the carbs..

Kev..merry christmas xx

16 MILES?? A cab back from that far on Christmas Day will cost a fortune. :***: :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'm going to my son's again for Christmas, I go there every year and he cooks dinner while I do absolutely nowt except perhaps peel the sprouts.

I enjoy spending Christmas with him because while neither of us are bah humbugs neither are we fans of all the excesses of Christmas and we're both good at not buying all the **** that is associated with Christmas that we don't actually like. I'll have my usual LCHF diet but maybe will have one crispy roast spud.

:thumbup: