Chronic fatigue syndrome

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Around the menopause (joy of joys) I was diagnosed with type 2 DM. I then low carbed my way from an hba1c of 63 to 39. But at the same time I developed extreme exhaustion which got worse and did not improve at all with the keto diet even though I lost over 40lbs and maintained an ok hba1c.
It was eventually diagnosed as chronic fatigue syndrome.
8 years on, my hba1c is still non diabetic and my BMI considerably reduced though I sometimes use 500-1000mg Metformin a day.
It's difficult to implement the exercise component of diabetes treatment with chronic fatigue syndrome and I do get depressed every now and then because of the combined effort of dealing with the diabetes and CFS.
I do a regular exercise routine - adapted for CFS, eg some of it is done sitting or lying.

• Informative
Reactions: saky and Serena51

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome and well done for reducing your HbA1c. Must be difficult, living with CFS as well. Low carbing, I'm wondering if you have replaced your carbs with another energy giving food group, basically fats, as this should boost your energy levels?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Around the menopause (joy of joys) I was diagnosed with type 2 DM. I then low carbed my way from an hba1c of 63 to 39. But at the same time I developed extreme exhaustion which got worse and did not improve at all with the keto diet even though I lost over 40lbs and maintained an ok hba1c.
It was eventually diagnosed as chronic fatigue syndrome.
8 years on, my hba1c is still non diabetic and my BMI considerably reduced though I sometimes use 500-1000mg Metformin a day.
It's difficult to implement the exercise component of diabetes treatment with chronic fatigue syndrome and I do get depressed every now and then because of the combined effort of dealing with the diabetes and CFS.
I do a regular exercise routine - adapted for CFS, eg some of it is done sitting or lying.
In terms of exercise, it’s the deploying of the large muscle groups that impact the blood glucose. What that means is that in terms of your diabetes, you garner benefit from simply standing up. Dr Joe Henson at Leicester did interesting work on it.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome and well done for reducing your HbA1c. Must be difficult, living with CFS as well. Low carbing, I'm wondering if you have replaced your carbs with another energy giving food group, basically fats, as this should boost your energy levels?
What is the purpose of replacing carbs with fats?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have fibromyalgia, and my Neuro thinks I have CFS as well but my GP never followed up on his letter about that.
I also have arthritis, asthma and reflex syncope.
So a very limited movement of exercise.
But I still lost loads of weight by doing low carb.
However, the CFS symptoms and Fibro didn't improve so I've tried to learn to live with them.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because to get into remission without drugs T2s usually need to drop carbs and eat mostly protein and fats.
Very low-calorie diets have been trialled, but in reality if VLC these are then always low carb! And short-term.
I have no problem with low carbs. I don't eat many carbs myself. But carbs are 17 kJ per gram. Fats are 37 per gram. Replacing carbs with fat makes no sense to me... unless you're eating less

Last edited:

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no problem with low carbs. I don't eat many carbs myself. But carbs are 17 kJ per gram. Fats are 37 per gram. Replacing carbs with fat makes no sense to me... unless you're eating less
I see that you are T3c and on insulin, that is possibly the reason why it does not make sense to you. for those of use who are T2 makes perfect sense as already mentioned above. However there are people who are insulin controlled also low carb, as they find it easier, I believe.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see that you are T3c and on insulin, that is possibly the reason why it does not make sense to you. for those of use who are T2 makes perfect sense as already mentioned above. However there are people who are insulin controlled also low carb, as they find it easier, I believe.
Yes you're right. I'm still learning

Reactions: pixie1

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's tough isn't it? I also have CFS and fibromyalgia as well as other health issues. With the myriad of symptoms and pain that fibromyalgia brings I struggle to go to work some days and I admit I don't exercise other than some walking. I can't walk much these days due to pain though.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had ME for over twenty years and now they think I might have steroid induced diabetes. I have to say that nothing at all has helped me with the constant awful exhaustion. Just as somebody further up says, live with it. :(

carolm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over 20 years ago my husband and I were both 'diagnosed' by gps as having ME, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I my case over 40 years ago. I was put on antidepressants, because I was exhausted. They were useless, so I stopped them. If you've been on them for long they have to be reduced slowly, so beware doing that.
I think there are a lot of contributory factors and ME/CFS can sometimes be used as an easy way to shut the patient up. So keep nagging until you know all tests especially diabetes and anything else that causes tiredness, has been accounted for.
Good Luck
New registrar on surgery said she didn't think I was depressed, I agreed, I have too much to live for. Family history of diabetes and autoimmune diseases, eventually they admitted I had diabetes and Rheumatoid arthitis. Medication changes, not a worked at the start, monitoring sugar despite being told I don't need to test daily, consultant deals with arthritis, and a lot less tired for years until recently when covid hit! Fractured back from 1980s also contributed but ignored, found out less than 10 years ago (well it was a gps wife who ran into the back of my car),
My Husband, finally, thanks to some falls and a trip to hospital, has Huntington's Disease, one of the rare diseases and treatment is to ease symptoms as it is neurodegenerative.
The good side, we met an an ME support group meeting over 22 years ago!

carolm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over 20 years ago my husband and I were both 'diagnosed' by gps as having ME, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I my case over 40 years ago. I was put on antidepressants, because I was exhausted. They were useless, so I stopped them. If you've been on them for long they have to be reduced slowly, so beware doing that.
I think there are a lot of contributory factors and ME/CFS can sometimes be used as an easy way to shut the patient up. So keep nagging until you know all tests especially diabetes and anything else that causes tiredness, has been accounted for.
Good Luck
New registrar on surgery said she didn't think I was depressed, I agreed, I have too much to live for. Family history of diabetes and autoimmune diseases, eventually they admitted I had diabetes and Rheumatoid arthitis. Medication changes, not a worked at the start, monitoring sugar despite being told I don't need to test daily, consultant deals with arthritis, and a lot less tired for years until recently when covid hit! Fractured back from 1980s also contributed but ignored, found out less than 10 years ago (well it was a gps wife who ran into the back of my car),
My Husband, finally, thanks to some falls and a trip to hospital, has Huntington's Disease, one of the rare diseases and treatment is to ease symptoms as it is neurodegenerative.
The good side, we met an an ME support group meeting over 22 years ago!
Replying to myself as I forgot, underactive thyroid also causes exhaustion. So try and get that checked as well. Don't be fobbed off.
The gp who tried to keep me on antidepressants also said I had slightly underactive thyroid so to wait and see. I'd had enough by then. I demanded an appointment to a consultant who put me on thyroxine as hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease. Consultant said patients felt better when Thyroxine levels are middle of the range. I would have been left it the bottom end. That got rid of the exhaustion for a long time, although other factors came in later. Hypothyroidism also came with free NHS prescriptions, as does diabetes I think.
I was given medical retirement due to extreme fatigue and so called muscle pain (from the fractured spine),
I just have a family history of autoimmune problems, I'm 70 now, this lot started in my 30's. Carol

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are low carb you don't need to count calories - just look at the research and at my signature. I can't exercise due to other health conditions yet I lost loads of weight on low carb while eating double cream, cheese, butter, etc.