Chronic Kidney Disease

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I gave myself CKD at the age of ten. Since then the general trend in eGFR has been down, presently at about 40. My eGFR has been down to 5, but that was a reaction to an antibiotic given for pancreatitis. The e in eGFR stands for estimated, because it can give a result very different from the actual GFR for a large number of reasons (dehydration, caffeine, infection, immune system etc.). You can get an actual GFR lab test, but it's more complicated and hence more expensive.

Thank you for taking the trouble to clarify the meaning of eGFR. I am presently at 44 which is an increase since cessation of lithium (41 years on maintenance) from 40 a month ago, and presently on divalproex/latuda for Bipolar 1. It would be interesting to see if there will be an further increase in kidney function: a XMAS miracle. I have read PubMed articles that kidney clearance reversibility is possible upon lithium dicontinuation. Time will tell. I am at stage 3 now I guess; not the greatest problem in my present condition.