Chutneys?

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK people now here's a challenge for you. Christmas is coming and this will be my first year eating healthier as a diagnosed diabetic. Now I am a super huge fan of Christmas - I love the schmalzy movies, the carols, the lights ... and of course the food. My gorgeous wife has scoured the web for diabetic friendly low carb alternatives and and these, along with diabetes.co.uk cookbooks should make for a great Christmas.

However, I was a huge chutney/ pickle fan and all the recipes call for oodles of sugar (my wife tells me this is because it acts as a preservative). Does anyone have any recipes for sugar free, nut free, low carb chutney or pickle?

Pretty, pretty please?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I make a nice caramelised red onion and thyme thing but it has Truvia in it. Can you eat fake sugar?

Reactions: Freema
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I can! Could I scrounge the recipe please?

If you have no issue with sweeteners, there are bucket loads on t'internet. I just typed in low carb chutney and there are some great options. Not all are carb counted, and of course one man's low carb is another's carbfest, so putting the recipe into myfitnesspal could help you decide if it's good enough for you.

Some base their sweetness on sugar-free jams, so be aware of the sorbitol in those.

As a general idea, don't make enormous quantities because they may not keep as long as standard chutneys for the reason your wife has already highlighted. I make my own "ketchup" which I don't blend until super-smooth, so it's more like a smoothish salsa, but I use it in all manner of things, just to give either a little colour of a tomato flavour (and sometimes just plain old using it up!).

Enjoy the adventure, but do test around each recipe you try - especially if there's fruit involved.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what quantities of chutney you enjoy, but it may be worth working out the actual carbs in a tablespoon, or whatever your usual quantity is.

I find that I can slip odd 'discrepencies' into a large, otherwise virtuous meal, with virtually no impact.

Although I would hate to lead you astray...

dollyroger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Welsh man 1952, couldn't you just make enough for the Christmas holidays and use sweetener, I'm about to use some green tomatoes that haven't quite started to ripen to make some chutney and that's what I'm going to try to do, if it doesn't, lesson learnt, but I'm hoping it does work. Merry Christmas.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just a thought, when your wife is looking for suitable recipes online, putting diabetic in the search is going to troll up a lot of high carb or low fat garbage. In the search bar use low carb or keto instead and she will find much more suitable recipes.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
@Welshman1952 And you even look like father Christmas, it is no wonder you are a big fan of it. Have you tried any of the recipes? Which is the winner??

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
The Hare Krishnas are your friend here for low carb chutneys. Here is a recipe from their website that I like the look of:

1/2 large beet raw and peeled
1 carrot
15 roasted peanuts
1 hot chili
1/2 lime juice of
1/2 teaspoon cumin coriander (or more to taste)
Salt and pepper
A few cilantro leaves

Place everything in a food processor and mince finely. Serve as a condiment or a salad.

My local also does a lovely mint and coriander 'chutney' which is more of a lovely sauce.

The website I got the above from is: http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/prasadam/recipes/chutney7.htm

I have no affiliation with the saffron robed folk but I do like the way they cook.