Cider vinegar for dawn effect?

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A friend has suggested to me that drinking cider vinegar before bedtime might reduce the dawn effect on my blood glucose levels first thing in the morning.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case and how it should be taken. IE. Should it be taken nest or diluted, how much and when is the best time to take it.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to drink it for a few month like 2 spoons in a glass of water before bed...

don´t think it helped me that much... as I have read it does prevent a little of the carbs from being uptaken by the intestines..
but maybe there is a long term healthy effect in doing something good for the walls in the instestines.. I could imagine that, in older days some drank it to prevent heart attacks and help the overall health... I really don´t know what to think of it...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37229792
according to this BBC experiment there could be something about it concerning lowering of triglycerides and cholesterol

Last edited:
Reactions: Inchindown

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take cider vinegar three times a day. I dilute 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1 tablespoon of water, it would be too sour to drink neat and it can also cause dental problems if taken undiluted. Not sure whether it helps with dawn effect as i'm fortunate not to have this problem. Also it has to be the unpasteurised one containing "the mother". Hope it works for you if you decide to try it. I take mine just before meals and just before bed.

dipsydo

I have found that there are different qualities of cider vinegar so a one with mother in it seems to work better , but as you might find everyone seems to have very personal reactions so may or may not work for you . I have found eating earlier helps with Dawn Phenomena but others swear having a late night snack helps. It is all a bit trial and error . The other thing is that is maybe as DP is normal as you liver is getting ready for the morning that maybe better not to stress too much about it.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Studies have shown it to be at least as effective as metformin.... Allegedly.

I take it before my evening meal and it does help my post prandial numbers and also promotes weight loss.