Type 1 Claudation

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I’m a type one for just over 30 years. Diagnosis age 18.
I wondered how many, if any of you had been diagnosed with this and if, hopefully, you have been cured or if you have been able to alleviate the symptoms using medication or diet or both. I haven’t been diagnosed but I just discovered the word for my symptoms .. I have a test in hospital on 18th July for circulation after years of pressing doctors and being told to take mineral salts...
I’m quite worried about the results of said test after having had a terribly painful test on my legs last week ( it wasn’t really the electromyography that was painful, but rather the needles they stuck in my calves and twisted, I was in tears if truth be known and begging them in my mind to stop .. but knowing if they did they’d just start from the beginning again). They diagnosed neuropathy but said I could also have claudation... so having looked it up today ... too afraid to do so before, I’m really worried about the consequences.
Basically, I would love you all to say take aspirin for 4 weeks and you’re cured but if any of you know anything about it or have experience of it, I would be really appreciative of receiving some of your knowledge and support.
Thanks in advance

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There is no cure for type 1 diabetes,surely after 30 years you would know this?

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
My Mum had this. She is a type 2 with historically poor control. Earlier this year she had four stents inserted in her legs. Seems OK now.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Fernly

Hi all,

I’m a type one for just over 30 years. Diagnosis age 18.
I wondered how many, if any of you had been diagnosed with this and if, hopefully, you have been cured or if you have been able to alleviate the symptoms using medication or diet or both. I haven’t been diagnosed but I just discovered the word for my symptoms .. I have a test in hospital on 18th July for circulation after years of pressing doctors and being told to take mineral salts...
I’m quite worried about the results of said test after having had a terribly painful test on my legs last week ( it wasn’t really the electromyography that was painful, but rather the needles they stuck in my calves and twisted, I was in tears if truth be known and begging them in my mind to stop .. but knowing if they did they’d just start from the beginning again). They diagnosed neuropathy but said I could also have claudation... so having looked it up today ... too afraid to do so before, I’m really worried about the consequences.
Basically, I would love you all to say take aspirin for 4 weeks and you’re cured but if any of you know anything about it or have experience of it, I would be really appreciative of receiving some of your knowledge and support.
Thanks in advance
Just my thoughts: I have some dogs and when they seem to have trouble with their hind legs I deworm them and they’re alright after that. I knew one lady that had sharp pain on occasion in her big toe but she had digestive problems and maybe it was referred gas pains. When I have restless legs or pain in my legs I get up find a little Fleets enema (8 oz.) take out the fleets solution substitute clear room temp water, remove the rubber gasket in the cap and introduce a couple bottles of water into the gut. Expell and repeat. Return to bed. So far it seems that the pressure of a full gut on the leg’s blood vessels can cause discomfort easily releaved by the water therapy. I suspect female complaints could benefit from this also but only am guessing. Hope this helps.

Fernly

Just my thoughts: I have some dogs and when they seem to have trouble with their hind legs I deworm them and they’re alright after that. I knew one lady that had sharp pain on occasion in her big toe but she had digestive problems and maybe it was referred gas pains. When I have restless legs or pain in my legs I get up find a little Fleets enema (8 oz.) take out the fleets solution substitute clear room temp water, remove the rubber gasket in the cap and introduce a couple bottles of water into the gut. Expell and repeat. Return to bed. So far it seems that the pressure of a full gut on the leg’s blood vessels can cause discomfort easily releaved by the water therapy. I suspect female complaints could benefit from this also but only am guessing. Hope this helps.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @gemma_T1,
I think the word you looked up was "Claudication". My understanding is that when someone with this condition walks a certain distance the muscles in the affected leg)s) run low on blood supply of oxygen, because the circulation of blood to that leg(s) is compromised.
The limp that occurs as one tries to walk further apparently gives the condition its name. Claudius was a Roman emporar who after a

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Opps Claudius was a Roman emperor who had a limp (TI think he was born with a limp though and so the limp in his case was not likely to be due to any circulation problem).
Before jumping the gun though, it might be wise first to see what your doctor says about your symptoms, signs and test results.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I can't offer any advice but I can sympathise over the electromyography process, not pleasant to say the least.
I hope that your results prove to be normal, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have it.
If you are indeed diagnosed with atherosclerosis, don't panic. It's not great but there is plenty you can do.
It's far more common than many people realize, many are undiagnosed.
The link from Bullbiker above is a good intro to claudication.
You'll learn more after 18th July but feel free to drop me a line.

The page linked here and page that follows on are an insight in where I'm up to Here

You could probably describe my situation as reasonably serious but I'm still very active (walking / house renovation) and trying to manage things as much as possible.
I have been in communication with a couple of experts recently (they have videos on You Tube and have published papers themselves, particularly on the use (or not) of Statins). I am still trying to understand my condition properly and the (non-invasive) treatment of it. I'll be writing up my efforts in due course. My musings though are just that, personal musings from a fairly dim person without medical training.

Anyhow best of luck to you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @gemma_T1 - Claudication can indeed by very painful indeed, as well as the obvious impairment to circulation.

If you are a smoker, one of the most important things would be to give that up straight away. My non-diabetic, but lifelong smoker mother had lower limb claudication which eventually got her into trouble. Her consultant was very direct about the smoking and she gave up that instant (fair play Mother!).

Her overall condition improved greatly after that, although the Consultant was mystified by the extent it did improve. (It later became clear she got lucky that a blood clot spontaneously dispersed.)

There's a lot that can be done these days to protect and preserve the circulation, so I'm sure your Consultant will be able to guide you, but as in most things, there's a lot to learn.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: porl69

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't offer any advice but I can sympathise over the electromyography process, not pleasant to say the least.
I hope that your results prove to be normal, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Thankyou much appreciated

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @gemma_T1 - Claudication can indeed by very painful indeed, as well as the obvious impairment to circulation.

If you are a smoker, one of the most important things would be to give that up straight away. My non-diabetic, but lifelong smoker mother had lower limb claudication which eventually got her into trouble. Her consultant was very direct about the smoking and she gave up that instant (fair play Mother!).

Her overall condition improved greatly after that, although the Consultant was mystified by the extent it did improve. (It later became clear she got lucky that a blood clot spontaneously dispersed.)

There's a lot that can be done these days to protect and preserve the circulation, so I'm sure your Consultant will be able to guide you, but as in most things, there's a lot to learn.

Good luck with it all.

Thankyou
I’ve never been a smoker ... so your post gives me some hope that things can improve by giving up smoking perhaps better diabetes control would improve it too although that is the hardest part. We’ll know the final diagnosis soon and I’ll keep you posted. The problem is my diabetes for much of the last 20 years has been a rollercoaster of highs and lows with seemingly little reason as to why I can go from 18 units per day standard to up to 29/31 trying to fix unexplainable highs it all depends on the day and not even on the food which is very much the same quantity and quality...
So I think the reason for it would be the diabetes control which has always been difficult since the first 10 years of honeymoon period ... shame that didn’t last even longer ...
I suppose I worry because apart from the pain and feeling that you have concrete legs I see many in hospital here in Italy with amputated toes, feet and legs and so reading about this condition after the doctors who performed the other test suggested it.

Thankyou for your support it’s so wonderful to have found this forum... after being in the wilderness for so many years...
I have to say that if I were still living in England I know the care would have been much better than here in Italy. I miss our NHS
Best wishes

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Or have I misread your post?

It was very late when I typed on my phone so sorry I meant the other condition, not type one diabetes, but I see now that it wasn’t clear at all, so sorry about that.

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have it.
If you are indeed diagnosed with atherosclerosis, don't panic. It's not great but there is plenty you can do.
It's far more common than many people realize, many are undiagnosed.
The link from Bullbiker above is a good intro to claudication.
You'll learn more after 18th July but feel free to drop me a line.

The page linked here and page that follows on are an insight in where I'm up to Here

You could probably describe my situation as reasonably serious but I'm still very active (walking / house renovation) and trying to manage things as much as possible.
I have been in communication with a couple of experts recently (they have videos on You Tube and have published papers themselves, particularly on the use (or not) of Statins). I am still trying to understand my condition properly and the (non-invasive) treatment of it. I'll be writing up my efforts in due course. My musings though are just that, personal musings from a fairly dim person without medical training.

Anyhow best of luck to you.

Hi,
Thankyou so much for your post! I read your link with diagnosis and 4 month follow up and I shall continue to check up on you. You are a very strong person!!! Thankyou again for allowing me to do that. What a journey! I totally understand that wake up call in the middle of the night when all the demons come to call ... it’s a scary time... during the day we cope and get on with life, the night brings all fears to the surface.
I shall have to wait for he 18th for the test but to be honest I’m sure that that is what it is .. gradually over the years the numbness has gone from foot to lower leg now right up to my knee ... even sitting down for breakfast will put them to sleep and the cramps in my toes are awful.. like as if a nerve has been crossed .. z
I used to exercise a lot then I had a few accidents and my physical health didn’t really recover, much to my chagrin, so for approximately the last six years is when I’ve noticed year by year ( although always put down to lack of minerals by docs ) a worsening of my legs. And finally this year they allowed me to do these two tests which obviously I’ve had to wait a good few months for ...
I will let you know how it goes on the 18th!!
In the meantime I’ll be thinking of you! Take lots of care and keep writing!
Best wishes
Gem

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi there!
Thanks for replying!
Well that’s definitely food for thought! ... perhaps I could get some worming tablets myself if it worked, I’d be forever in your debtand you could sell your cure for millions !!! Lol!!

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @gemma_T1,
I think the word you looked up was "Claudication". My understanding is that when someone with this condition walks a certain distance the muscles in the affected leg)s) run low on blood supply of oxygen, because the circulation of blood to that leg(s) is compromised.
The limp that occurs as one tries to walk further apparently gives the condition its name. Claudius was a Roman emporar who after a

Thankyou so much for replying
Yes it was that ... I’m hopeless at a late hour and I didn’t check to see if I’d written it correctly. Is here a way to correct it?
It’s my first time asking a question so not sure how to change mistakes.
However, I thankyou for your informative reply .. to be honest I’m sure in myself but I am hoping against hope it’s not the case, but then I ask myself what could it be?
I have the pains in my calves and thighs when I’m doing yoga and it is extremely painful I try to push through the pain barrier by breathing ... but sometimes I just have to release...
I will let you know how it goes on the 18th

Best wishes
Gem

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I recently did some reading on atherosclerosis (which is the calcification of arteries) fora a relative. Atherosclerosis would be a cause of claudation.
Almost everything I read seemed to be saying that once diagnosed the trick is to stop it getting worse, rather than expecting it to get significantly better.

Two things gave a bit more hope. I won't go into detail, because they are both fairly non-conventional, so you would need to do the research and reading yourself and make up your own mind.

The first is a couple of studies done with high oxidant pure pomegranate juice
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15158307
There was a study for a year, with a smaller followup 3 year study

The second is Vitamin K2
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26176325
elsewhere I have seen some youtube vids suggesting that there are ongoing studies to discover whether larger doses of K2 over longer periods will reduce existing atheroslerosis

There are, of course, plenty of other theories and more conventional suggestions out there, and I don't want to imply that either of the suggestions above should substitute for conventional methods, as suggested by your health team.