Type 1 Clicking/loose jaw

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all!
I was having lunch with my mother the other day and she said that she could hear my jaw as I ate, that it made a sound as if it was loose, not a clear click as such but a distinct sound nonetheless. Now my uncle (no blood relation) also has type 1 and has the same jaw sounds!
She wondered if it was a diabetes thing - has anyone else experienced this?

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
hi all!
I was having lunch with my mother the other day and she said that she could hear my jaw as I ate, that it made a sound as if it was loose, not a clear click as such but a distinct sound nonetheless. Now my uncle (no blood relation) also has type 1 and has the same jaw sounds!
Usually the clicking Jaw syndrome is common to athletes who have endured some sort of injury to the jaw or people who have been in traffic accidents where there was some damage to the jaw. I only know this because a friend of mine had to get his jaw broken and re-set as a result of an old injury he sustained when he almost died in a motorcycle accident. My jaw clicks too but I was on the school wrestling team when I was younger and the number of times my face got slammed in to the mats - more times than I care to count. So having said that - have you ever ustained an injury to the jaw or did you wear braces as a kid to fix your teeth? Braces and the pressure on the joints of the \jaw can also cause this. Most people go their whole lives with it - no big deal - but some people require surgery as their condition can get worse - like my friend.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi all!

It's more common that you might think.

Can you hear the click yourself?

Loads of people have clicking jaws, whether or not they realise it. Most people only realise when the click becomes more pronounced, or their jaw locks; usually open, mid yawn. In most cases no intervention is required, unless it becomes uncomfortable or locks frequently.

If you grind your teeth, routinely, you might want to mention your clicking jaw to your dentist, as he may want to check your bite to ensure you're not doing any further damage (than the grinding itself can).

If you're worried about it, you could consult with Dr Google by entering TMJ clicking and TMD. He'll have plenty to say, no doubt.

Reactions: isjoberg