Coconut fat to treat Diabetes?

abhock

Hi !!
I'm not sure how to interpret this??.....I'm type 2(diet and exerc:)of approx: eight years now and have had some really "up and down b/s figures" in the past(between 4-11".....anything over 6 would invariably worry me,and it would be straight upstairs to my exercise bike and bring the number down to a more acceptable level(5'ish)......ANYWAY....I started cooking a few months ago(I'm a man of 70!! and only just started cooking!!....how embarrasing is that???) and am using coconut milk/cream in all/most of my meals.........I also have been taking part in a "diabetes trial" called A.S.C.E.N.D.(a study of cardiovascular events in diabetes) which consists of one 100mg tablet of aspirin and one capsule containing Omega 3 fatty acid,to be taken every day for a number of years(can't remember how many??)....its a "blind " study,so I maybe taking "placebo??".....however!!.....my blood sugars have become so much more stable to date....I can almost "speak" the figure before it appears in my testing machine window!!..... WELL... not exactly!!.....but you know what I mean??.........so now reading about the benefits of coconut oil/cream/milk,has now confirmed the reasons for the improvement of my b/s fig:s......I'm pretty chuffed about it and will carry on being a "coconutter!!" ........OH..I almost forgot!!.....roundabout the onset of my "cooking"....I started to take cinnamon in my morning porridge,and also in my evening cup of ginger tea...so MAYBE..?????????????????????....worth a try eh??

lizives

Now well into October so how is it going with the new regime? would love to know how you get on as I have the oil and the books but waiting for someone to say they are happy with it. I am willing to try anything if it makes me feel better! :?:

David_Brown

Just for the record, I've been consuming between two and three pounds of butter a week for several decades. It's cheaper than coconut oil and also contains medium chain triglycerides. I also consume a low sugar diet. Were I to consume significant amounts of sugar, my liver would fill up with fat and my arteries would clog.

By the way, my body mass index is 20 and I'm 62 years old. We raised our kids on a high-fat/low sugar diet and they, in turn, are raising their children similarly. It's not low-carb, just sugar restricted.

I urge all who read this comment to listen to Dr. Robert Lustig's 89 minute presentation entitled "Sugar: The Bitter Truth." http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=16717 You'll see that Dr. Turner's contention, that high saturated fat intake leads to fatty liver disease, is incorrect. It's fructose that the body can't handle well in large quantities.

Dairy fats actually promote thyroid health and lean muscle mass, no need to avoid them. Here's part of a student blog post I found on the American Society for Nutrition website at http://www.nutrition.org/asn-blog/2009/08/the-milk-debate/

"According to a cohort study of 12,829 US children aged 9 to 14 years, weight gain is associated with excess calorie intake and consumption of low fat or skim milk, but is not associated with drinking whole milk products. This finding although surprising is consistent with some animal findings. Pigs fed reduced-fat milk gain weight easily while pigs fed whole milk stay lean. Male rats fed whole milk had significantly lower concentrations of plasma triglycerides, very low-density lipoproteins and apolipoprotein B than rats fed low fat milk. The effects of whole milk on lipid profile and body composition are not well understood, but the process of removing fat from milk may in part be responsible for some of the observed effects.

Milk is an emulsion of butterfat globules and water-based fluid. Butterfat contains unique nutrients that support thyroid function and help the body develop muscle rather than fat..."

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi David, thanks for that.

I eat butter and coconut oil - I have to say that after my digestion collapsed through what I now realise was extreme dehydration it was coconut oil that really helped a lot.

It is good stuff. I get mine fairly reasonably off eBay but you need to shop around a bit as they do differ in taste and quality. Butter does contain some MCTs but coconut oil is very rich in them - the Lauric, Capric, Caprylic and Myristic acids are also powerful anti-bacterials and anti-fungals.

I also use it on my skin - it is a beautiful moisturiser and softener, and it is also very healing supportive. I burnt my hand badly in June but you wouldn't know to look at it, as a result of the coconut oil. My husband is putting it on a leg injury too at the moment which is healing beautifully.

I also use it as a deodorant. It dissolves into the skin and is non-staining on clothes. Much more user-friendly than the aerosols with their chemicals. You only need a tiny amount. It's brilliant.

I fry with it, use it in baking, add it to drinks and soups, use it as a spread instead of, or as well as butter. It is very versatile.

I do feel though that dehydration is a problem for many people without them realising it. They think because they drink enough that they are ok, but much of what they drink is also dehydrating. Anything with sugar, or that turns to sugar in the body uses a lot of water for processing and we rarely drink water on its own.

Your diet sounds very good from that point of view. I am now in the process of rehydrating my body, but I am suffering with years of hydration deficit and it will take a while. I am determined to get there though.

Thanks for your input.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget the bit about salt (un-processed, ie, not white - sea salt), Ali!

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Pat. Yes I forgot to mention that here although I have in the other one or two threads I have mentioned it on.

Nobody is taking any notice though, or if they are, they aren't letting on............ :cry:

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely. In fact, when I took my reading before bed last night, even though I had had some supper - not a normal occurrence - my level was 4.5!!!

I am so excited about this............ :D

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Abshock & AliB some impressive results coming out for you!

I have used coconut oil on and off for a while and in particular for cuts on the bottom of my feet which sometimes get very dry too. Kind of forgot about it while on our caravan odessy around Australia as I bought some poor quality stuff but have now got some good stuff now. Cooked up a batch of psyllium husk pancakes in it today.

What is fun is that while up above the tropic of Capricorn it is always liquid due to the temperatures. Now below the ToC and are in Perth WA but it is 31C today so the coconut oil is liquid again.

Flossie

Coconut Conections on line for the very best virgin oil. I have used it for years prior to diag nosis and read all the books they offer
Morrisons do have it now too and I think it is slightly cheaper than it was
My chlolestral always tests normal
I use all fats in moderation of course