1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Codeine on prescription

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by Goacher55, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Goacher55

Goacher55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have recently been subscribed Codeine after a nasty fall, I’ve noticed lower readings ever since I started taking it. (I know it used to be used as a treatment prior to insulin) I’ve just hypod at 2.2 having eaten much more than usual today
    Does any one have any experience of this?
    T2, take humalin m3, gloucaphage , gliclazide, plus other non diabetes meds

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Jenniewren1958

Jenniewren1958 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hope you feel better soon

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I can't say I can recall this specific issue coming up before.

My comment would be, whilst you ate more today, I guess what you ate should be considered, rather than wholly quantity?

My post will bump your thread up for greater visibility. I hope you recover from you fall quickly. Did you notice after your fall, your numbers increased, due to your injury?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amy993

Amy993 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have had codeine earlier in the year, and it was fine for me

• Like Like x 2
  5. leahkian

leahkian · Well-Known Member

First of all i hope you are on the mend, i have taken codeine in the past and not had any problems but that does not mean you will not. Why not contact your GP or diabetic team and ask them for some advice, it maybe for you that it has effected your BS as we are all different diabetics and we do not all react the same to medication. Do you keep a log of your BS results and if you do is there any pattern to when you are having a hypo and taking your tablets. Like i say i would get some advice as there maybe some other painkillers they can give you. Get better soon and i hope the low sugars stop

• Like Like x 3
  6. Goacher55

Thank you as it happens I’ve got an appointment tomorrow with my gp and my dn it’s my annual cva Diabetes and thyroid review. I’ll keep an eye on things but my research shows that codeine abd morphine were used for blood sugar control before insulin was knows about . Maybe it’s just my reaction. On a separate issue hubby noticed that our eldest spaniel was really upset and distressed when my bg went into hypo.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Goacher55

As for falling no real change as due to 2 previous cva it happens regularly it’s unfortunate that this time it hurt more and has taken longer to sort itself out thank you for all the advice

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook