Codeine on prescription

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have recently been subscribed Codeine after a nasty fall, I’ve noticed lower readings ever since I started taking it. (I know it used to be used as a treatment prior to insulin) I’ve just hypod at 2.2 having eaten much more than usual today
Does any one have any experience of this?
T2, take humalin m3, gloucaphage , gliclazide, plus other non diabetes meds

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently been subscribed Codeine after a nasty fall, I’ve noticed lower readings ever since I started taking it. (I know it used to be used as a treatment prior to insulin) I’ve just hypod at 2.2 having eaten much more than usual today
Does any one have any experience of this?
T2, take humalin m3, gloucaphage , gliclazide, plus other non diabetes meds

I can't say I can recall this specific issue coming up before.

My comment would be, whilst you ate more today, I guess what you ate should be considered, rather than wholly quantity?

My post will bump your thread up for greater visibility. I hope you recover from you fall quickly. Did you notice after your fall, your numbers increased, due to your injury?

Reactions: gvintagedrken

leahkian

First of all i hope you are on the mend, i have taken codeine in the past and not had any problems but that does not mean you will not. Why not contact your GP or diabetic team and ask them for some advice, it maybe for you that it has effected your BS as we are all different diabetics and we do not all react the same to medication. Do you keep a log of your BS results and if you do is there any pattern to when you are having a hypo and taking your tablets. Like i say i would get some advice as there maybe some other painkillers they can give you. Get better soon and i hope the low sugars stop

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you as it happens I’ve got an appointment tomorrow with my gp and my dn it’s my annual cva Diabetes and thyroid review. I’ll keep an eye on things but my research shows that codeine abd morphine were used for blood sugar control before insulin was knows about . Maybe it’s just my reaction. On a separate issue hubby noticed that our eldest spaniel was really upset and distressed when my bg went into hypo.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As for falling no real change as due to 2 previous cva it happens regularly it’s unfortunate that this time it hurt more and has taken longer to sort itself out thank you for all the advice