Coffee and Spikes

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't drink coffee last night but went from 5.4 at 7pm to 10.2 at bed. I ate homemade leek and potato soup but counted the carbs. I took additional bolus before bed as per pump instructions but added an extra 2 units. I was 5 this morning. I also increased my pump basal rate as well.
This would indicate I need to do a basal check however I have finally come down with a bad cold this morning as well so that could well be making my insulin requirements higher. But I was getting these levels a few weeks ago before I got sick.
I am going to let my cold go through and basal check and then experiment with coffee and milk etc. I don't think anyone has conclusively proved either way whether it increases levels or not although thanks to Tim2000s for being a guinea pig

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't think anyone has conclusively proved either way whether it increases levels or not although thanks to Tim2000s for being a guinea pig
No problem! All part of the science experiment. My take is that it does increase levels, but that a less than 1mmol/l rise isn't significant enough to bother me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Eat a late lunch and do a basal test throughout the evening @Auckland Canary, obviously do this when your feeling better as colds do increase our insulin usage so it would be pointless doing the test now.

What about Decaff coffee btw, I drink decaff tea/coffee and have done for the last few years, I found that the caffiene was irritating my bladder so made the switch and seen a big improvement, still have a caffeinated coffee from time to time but feel much better for making the change, taste wise I've not noticed a difference although you don't obviously get that caffeine kick with decaff.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eat a late lunch and do a basal test throughout the evening @Auckland Canary, obviously do this when your feeling better as colds do increase our insulin usage so it would be pointless doing the test now.

What about Decaff coffee btw, I drink decaff tea/coffee and have done for the last few years, I found that the caffiene was irritating my bladder so made the switch and seen a big improvement, still have a caffeinated coffee from time to time but feel much better for making the change, taste wise I've not noticed a difference although you don't obviously get that caffeine kick with decaff.
Decaf coffee is like alcohol free beer though...pretty pointless if you ask me. It takes all the fun out of being bad! I am going to continue my experiments over the next few weeks to try and get to the bottom of who or what is the guilty party. I'm hoping I can prove the innocence of the accused...coffee.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Decaf coffee is like alcohol free beer though...pretty pointless if you ask me. It takes all the fun out of being bad! I am going to continue my experiments over the next few weeks to try and get to the bottom of who or what is the guilty party. I'm hoping I can prove the innocence of the accused...coffee.

Like the analogy :)

Yes without the caffeine kick it won't suit everyone, good luck and keep persevering.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep I can get a fairly big spike from cofee (unfortunately) I don't think it's the milk as I don't get the same with tea (which I also have milk in). Might try black coffee at some point and see if that's any better!

Matt