Coffee/Diet Energy Drinks

chodezilla

Hi all,

I'm quite partial to coffee and diet energy drinks. I've scoured the internet with information about whether it is harmful to type 1 diabetics but I can't seem to find anything solid. The only think I've noticed is it can send my blood sugar low, for example at 10:00a.m this morning my blood was 11, about 10:30 I had a coffee (with no sugar, just milk) and a toffee muffin. At 11:30 my blood was 4.9.

Does anybody else find this or know anything I should be aware of other than the lowering of the blood sugar? According to articles I've been reading caffeine apparently sends blood sugar up, but it seems to have the opposite affect on me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I cut out caffeine and acidic foods from my diet a while back due to it causing an irritable bladder, before then I can't say I noticed it lowering my bg and I would often drink up to 8 mugs a day.

jopar

I assume that you injected for your toffee muffin!

It's probably the insulin you injected rather than the effect of caffeine in coffee that lowered your levels!

chodezilla

No mate. My insulin is the fixed two injections a day, one before my breakfast and one before my evening meal. I couldn't get on with having to inject every time I eat so I swapped back to this regime lol.

AMBrennan

Well, I do find that coffee tends to increase BG much less than it should - e.g. for 15g carbs I'd normally need 2u, or have a increase in BG by 3 mmol/l. A cappuchino has 15g, yet tends to result in a BG increase of 0.5 mmol/l only