1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

cold = epic low carb fail

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Lenny3, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Lenny3

Lenny3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Last week I came down with my first cold in about 2 years. I've been low carbing for about 20 months now. I do have bad days and have naughty things but then I get back on track. Well last week I became like a dust bin! On the worst days I ate anything I could get my hands on, I doubt there was 10 mins during the day when I wasnt eating! Oh and what was I eating? Everything I'd normally deny myself and truthfully probably dont really want anymore. I just seemed to feel better when I was eating.

But the worst bit of all this overeating? (I didnt dare test) I had my blood test today for my latest hba1c......................oh dear.

Well starting to feel better and food consumption is going back to normal. Thank goodness!

Does anyone else experience this 'feed a cold' syndrome?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Beachbag

Beachbag Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes. The enjoyment of eating is affected when we have a cold, because our sense of smell and taste is virtually non existent, so our brain tells our body it needs food........well it's one theory ;) but it makes sense to me. Don't beat yourself up, sure you'll get it sorted soon :)

3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes, my DN says it is quite common to do this. Unfortunately, my cold turned to a chest infection, then I broke my sternum and a rib watching a football match, then I needed to eat a high carb diet for an operation. .....and I haven't succeeded in getting back to low carbing since then.

I am glad you are feeling a bit better now

4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

The bright side:
    It may be too close to your test for all that eating to show up in your HbA1c.;)

The dark side:
    You now have to climb back up onto that high sided low carb wagon. :eek:

5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

zand, I am sure there is a very sensible reason, but why would you need to eat carbs before an op?

Have never come across this before.

6. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

When I broke my sternum, I was taking painkillers (for 2 weeks) which reacted with the warfarin (blood thinner) I am taking for a heart problem. The two together caused a small bleed from my bowel which after investigation, was shown to be from a small polyp (which probably would not have bled until much later). I had this removed in February. They give you strong laxatives the day before the op, and it's liquids only for 24 hours before, but the day before that one you have to eat high carb and low fibre. I hated that day....no veggies, but it has given me a taste for all the wrong things again. And I haven't been able to get my act together since.

But I am trying again today!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lenny3

Lenny3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am glad to hear that it's not just me being piggy :rolleyes:

But it was the illness that made me do it!!!!!:angelic:

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook