Cold hands

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I keep posting on here at the moment - we are four weeks into my husbands diagnosis so I have so many questions all of the time.
The last few times we've been to the football my husbands hands have been freezing. I know this sounds trivial as it has been cold but he's never normally one to get cold or feel the cold? I'm concerned this is something to do with his nerves and circulation?! Am I being paranoid? He says the feeling in his hands is fine they are just cold?
Also with his readings - so today he woke up and was at 5.9 then at lunch he went to 7.0 and then he had two beers and he's gone up to 10 - how dangerous is it for him to be at 10? I feel four weeks in he's doing really well with his levels but I don't know! The DSN has adviced he doesn't carb count yet but we are doing it in stages! Does any one just have any reassuring advice? Thank you

Reactions: KezG

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @kellie lees ,

If you search in the top right corner you'll find many threads about cold hands , I myself seem to get it at random times, and not just when I've been outside. The events do not seem to correlate to low or high glucose levels so I don't know why it happens. At first I thought it was me and just a sensation but my partner told me that my hands feel like ice to her so I know it's not just my imagination.

As for glucose levels - you are not likely to acheive perfect control from the off, it takes pactice. Even the seasoned veterans here will drift in to double figures when we miscalculate our insulin or carbs. A single rise to 10mmol isn't the end of the world as long as it comes down to a respectable level, but continually rising to 10 will push up the average glucose level over time so try to avoid this.

Beer can be a bit carby and may tend to raise glucose levels so just bear it mind for the future. Wine and spirits tend to lower blood glucose levels but we all react differently so it's important test oneself when drinking alcohol to see what's going on.

Reactions: KezG

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Sorry, I keep posting on here at the moment - we are four weeks into my husbands diagnosis so I have so many questions all of the time.
The last few times we've been to the football my husbands hands have been freezing. I know this sounds trivial as it has been cold but he's never normally one to get cold or feel the cold? I'm concerned this is something to do with his nerves and circulation?! Am I being paranoid? He says the feeling in his hands is fine they are just cold?
Also with his readings - so today he woke up and was at 5.9 then at lunch he went to 7.0 and then he had two beers and he's gone up to 10 - how dangerous is it for him to be at 10? I feel four weeks in he's doing really well with his levels but I don't know! The DSN has adviced he doesn't carb count yet but we are doing it in stages! Does any one just have any reassuring advice? Thank you
I suffered terribly from cold hands shortly after being diagnosed with T2D. The doctor said it was probably Reynaud's Disease, which is yet another neuropathy condition. I also had cold, numb and tingling feet. Also a misdiagnosed episode of shingles.
I think all of these are related to, or affected by, diabetes. I am a bit peeved because the GP acted throughout as if all these symptoms were a complete mystery, whereas I now find that they are quite common with diabetes.
The good news is that, now I am controlling with diet alone, most of the symptoms are much reduced, some even gone altogether.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
After food and alcohol his BG will rise, the readings with the information you have given are fine.

The carbohydrates in the beer will raise blood sugar the alcohol can lower it hours later but one or two beers should be ok but drinking in excess can causexa low/ hypoglycaemia so be mindful of how much he drinks. Moderation is good, for everyone actually.

Regards

Martin

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffered terribly from cold hands shortly after being diagnosed with T2D. The doctor said it was probably Reynaud's Disease, which is yet another neuropathy condition. I also had cold, numb and tingling feet. Also a misdiagnosed episode of shingles.
I think all of these are related to, or affected by, diabetes. I am a bit peeved because the GP acted throughout as if all these symptoms were a complete mystery, whereas I now find that they are quite common with diabetes.
The good news is that, now I am controlling with diet alone, most of the symptoms are much reduced, some even gone altogether.

Did it turn out to be reynauds disease or just one of them things that went away?

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Did it turn out to be reynauds disease or just one of them things that went away?
It had all the symptoms of Reynaud's, white fingers etc. And it lasted for the whole winter, whenever I got cold. But it did just go away. However, my feet do feel numb and tingly still and my wife often says I have cold hands or feet.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had people tell me I have cold hands for years. I only notice it when they flare up in colder weather - I get dry skin around the knuckles which if I don't notice in time to treat gets worse and turns scaly and I get cuts in the skin.

I've also had trouble getting enough blood out of my fingers for testing especially if I'm outside and it's chilly. Inside I just make sure to wash my hands in plenty of hot water to improve blood flow.

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had people tell me I have cold hands for years. I only notice it when they flare up in colder weather - I get dry skin around the knuckles which if I don't notice in time to treat gets worse and turns scaly and I get cuts in the skin.

I've also had trouble getting enough blood out of my fingers for testing especially if I'm outside and it's chilly. Inside I just make sure to wash my hands in plenty of hot water to improve blood flow.

Do you think this is a cause of your diabetes? How is your control? It seems like all of a sudden my husband has all these minor symptoms that we presume are now just down to him being diabetic! Did we just not notice them before, I'm not sure?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you think this is a cause of your diabetes? How is your control? It seems like all of a sudden my husband has all these minor symptoms that we presume are now just down to him being diabetic! Did we just not notice them before, I'm not sure?

I wouldn't personally say it's a cause of my diabetes - related? Possibly. As I said, going years back (10+) people have remarked that my hands are like ice - it's not something I notice until they flare up and go dry. But then I was virtually asymptomatic when diagnosed in DKA. I can understand it makes you stop and wonder what is and isn't related.

I would say my control is OK most days. I've been told I'm in honeymoon phase and I would tend to agree. Some days I'm perfectly within my target range and others are erratic.