Type 1 Cold will not go away/keeps coming back!

victry77

Hi, my levels are pretty well controlled and I have no issues relating to my diabetes.

On average I get 1-2 colds per year. Often they can be very heavy and I might have to stay off work. This is the norm for me as I would always getting heavy colds since I was a kid.

I'm slightly concerned about this one, though. I know there are lots of different strains of cold and many of us are getting them this time of year, etc, bu they behaviour of this cold is very unusual for me. Normally once a cold goes, it goes, but I've now had once since the 14th March on/off.

Started as a couple of days as a sore throat but then didn't properly break out until a few days later. It was a bit of a nuisance, lingering type of cold the really took it's time in properly breaking out. Two weeks later it was pretty much gone, just a bit of standard post-nasal drip and slight cough.

However, after feeling I was on the mend I suddenly felt rather rough for a couple of days... then felt better for a couple of days... then the pn-drip got worse and I started to feel like I was getting another cold. A few days later, it had broken out really badly. I was totally laid out and even had a high temperature. Worse of it over after a couple of days, but still not feeling good enough to get up and about for another 5 days. Loads of neon yellow mucous (apologies).

So, the dregs of this lingered for about another 4 days and then I felt quite a bit better and really felt these cold were out of my system. But then 2 days later, started to feel a mucous build up then sneezing, runny nose, catchy throat and now 2 days later again, feeling rubbish. Not as bad as the previous, but still not great.

I don't have hay-fever. These are cold symptoms again.

Has anyone had anything similar. I don't have signs of a secondary infection like sinusitis or chest infection, etc. But this recurring cold is getting me a bit worried like there might be something else wrong. I'm going to see how it goes but then will need to see my GP.

Any advice/opinions?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had your Vit D levels checked recently? Low levels can be quite debilitating for a human in all sorts of ways.

victry77

Have you had your Vit D levels checked recently? Low levels can be quite debilitating for a human in all sorts of ways.
Hi, yes my vit d levels are good according to blood test last year and I do supplement during winter months.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'd suggest you go see your doctor, you can get that nasal stuff tested for bacteria.... it could just be another cold or you could be harbouring some kind of bacteria that may need treatment. Last thing you want is for that to be an infection brewing and have it drain at night while asleep into the lungs and digestive system where it could create some unwanted problems.

You could get one of those netty potty things to try and clear out your nasal passages and sinuses.

victry77

I'd suggest you go see your doctor, you can get that nasal stuff tested for bacteria.... it could just be another cold or you could be harbouring some kind of bacteria that may need treatment. Last thing you want is for that to be an infection brewing and have it drain at night while asleep into the lungs and digestive system where it could create some unwanted problems.

You could get one of those netty potty things to try and clear out your nasal passages and sinuses.
Thanks, will go next week if no signs of improvement. I've been using one of those sea water solutions to clear nasal passages, but they seem a bit redundant when you have an actual cold.

Reactions: Tophat1900