Cold

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
I've now cut back my carbs by quite a bit - I don't know how many I'm eating in a day - I've cut out all bread, potatoes, flour, sugar (as far as possible) and am eating meat, fish, cheese, eggs, vegetables and barley. I'm also only drinking water - with added no added sugar cordial and tomato juice (once a day at breakfast).

The thing is I'm usually a very warm person - I'm in t shirts when hubby is in jumpers and body warmers - and I often have to wear a sweatband on my forehead because I'm so hot - but this last couple of days I have been so cold. Every time my hubby opens a window, I close it. He's been sitting in the back yard in a t shirt and I'm wrapped in a quilt and shivering.

I don't feel like I'm coming down with anything and my blood glucose is marvellous - in the 5s. Is this something others have suffered and will it wear off soon?

Cheers
Ailz

jaykay

Oh most definitely Ailz! I complained about that in this very forum :D especially as, like you, I had always been warm body. Your body does adjust ( well at least mine did ). I suffered from almost continual headaches as well but now my body seems to have balanced itself again, don't feel particularly cold and no headaches ( touch wood ). Give it a while....and add layers for a few weeks !

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
That's a relief. I hoped it would just be a passing phase.

Thanks for replying
Ailz

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I have a theory which is not based on any research that I know of about this phenomena and it is that when consuming processed carbs they cause inflammation in the body and perhaps inflammation means that our core temperature is slightly elevated. When you cut the processed carbs, the inflammation decreases and our core temperature drops slightly.
I do feel the cold more these days but put that down to getting older, having lost 20 kgs and becoming aclimatised to moving to a warmer area 6 years ago!

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I wonder if you could be right. I'm very stiff and achy most of the time - I have arthritis and fibromyalgia - but in spite of the cold, I'm feeling quite perky at the moment. Plus I'm sleeping for longer at a time - in bed 12 hours and managing to sleep more than 1 hour at a time. Last night I slept from 1 am until 7 without waking/getting up.

Cheers
Ailz

bedshaped2000

i find that when i eat something full of fat like cheese of brazil nuts polish sausage orr egg on its own that my hands and feet go stone cold and when i eat something which has no fat and all carb like a apple or a biscuit my hands go red hot like pokers. when i asked my doctor he said it was my imagination but its not so ive worked out cold hands full of fat my bgs are low and warm redhot hands and my bgs are not super high but average. this has only started since my 8 stone weight loss

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Hey there Aliz
Just a few days after posting my thoughts on low carbing and feeling cold, this article appeared in the Sunday Telegraph (Australia) on the 15th May 2011.
"Ageing gets cold comfort"
Scientists have found that those who constantly feel cold may also live an extended life.
They suspect the hormonal changes that conserve energy and heat, by slowing down metabolism has the ability to prolong life.
The study from Washington University looked at how cutting caloriues affected core body temperature and found that those on restricted-calorie diets were found to have the lowest core temperatures.
And researchers believe that reduced temperature is one of the contributors to living until an older age".
Seems I am on to something. Don't mind if I do shiver a bit these days now!
Alison

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Live long and prosper - in a cold, cold way. Sounds good :lol:

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that my temperature is a lot lower now than it was when I was eating carbs. Particularly dumping gluten foods (processed wheat) made a big difference. I don't get the burning hot feet any more either that I had to stick out of the bed every night!!

I did actually have some shivering episodes a couple of times, but realised that was down to detoxing. It's like my body gave a big sigh of relief - 'thank goodness she's finally dumped the ****', and started off-loading all the years of accumulated crud.

About 10 days or so after dumping the gluten, I had a huge clear-out from my liver. I could feel it all rattling down my hepatic tubes in my right side. Very weird. Felt heaps better after though.

Another thing I have noticed is that I don't react to the heat as much either. Used to wilt something awful in the heat. Couldn't cope with it at all, but now I find it a lot easier to cope with.

I agree with Clearviews that a lot of it may well be down to inflammation. That makes sense. I think the inflammation that is driven by, particularly processed carbs, may well be a factor in a lot of inflammatory conditions.