Type 1 Colds

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How long is a piece of string?
Sometimes, I could get raised blood sugars a couple of days before a cold.
Sometimes I could get raised blood sugars the day before a cold.
Sometimes I could get raised blood sugars on the day my nose starts running.
Sometimes I get raised blood sugars and never get a cold.
If I see my blood sugars rise any sooner than 2 days before a cold, I probably put it down to something else (e.g. stress) and my mind does not associate the rise with the cold.

As a pedantic engineer, these are not spikes - a spike goes up and comes down quickly. These are raised blood sugars (they go up and stay up) unless I give myself extra insulin.

Reactions: Nadia19 and EllieM

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine goes down the day before I'm poorly, if I've not done any exercise this is my forewarning that I'm going to be high and likely feel "under the weather" the next day.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get a drop in sugars and then the spike in my sugars in the same day and the spike lasts for a few days before my sugars go back down to normal like they have with this cold I got a couple of weeks ago and now my sugars have leveled off and keep crashing into a hypo and I have to keep a eye on them but the cold can last me a few days or a few weeks depends on the weather and how I feel and my body is doing because it's all 3 you have to watch with a cold.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Hmm... my bg practically does not change with a cold, but on the other hand, with a cold, my appetite changes a lot and I eat almost nothing.

Nadia19

I have an ear infection, what would you say about maybe being a bit more resistant to insulin. Seeing crazy numbers recently and the last week during this infection. How long would anyone say it takes for the body to get back to normal ?