Colouring Insulin!

mary123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently switched to a pump and now of course have insulin running up through a line (tubing) from pump to patch. Air bubbles seem to be a subject that comes up a lot with pumpers although I am not aware of any specific air bubble issue. However, why not colour the insulin with a suitable dye (no chemist here) so that you can see the insulin coursing through; bit more reassurance.

Clorinda

I can't say I fret about air bubbles enough to colour insulin.

As long as you load the insulin reservoir to minimise bubbles then the odd champagne ones won't hurt (or so I'm told).

sanssucre

Dislikes
Hypocrises and egoism
Not sure about colouring insulin! Concerning air bubbles in the catheter, make sure that the insulin is at room temperature before filling the pump reservoir. Cold insulin degasses when it warms up causing unexpected bubbles in the line.

TheWeasel

Dislikes
People who drive whilst using a mobile phone, as one of em killed my best mate!
I think it would have to be quite a strong dye to show up in the line, and how much would it discolour your body tissue I wonder?

As for the bubbles, I always thought they were a big no-no. Then whilst an in-patient for an unexplained runaway BG increase one time, I queried a 4 inch long bit of empty line when the nurse was changing my water infusion bag, and she said it's not enough to worry about.

So...I guess bubbles only present a BG control problem by causing interruptions to ones basal flow, but I always purge the line of any air which is the full diameter of the bore, but don't bother about the tiny specs of air. Never had any bubble related problems in 6 years of pumping.