Come on T1s!

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Day 2 - not dieting yet but woke up at 5.9! Sugars were all over the place yesterday but partly because i forgot an injection... need to not do that! Might get one of those timer tops. Sticking to the 90 minute rule, i tested 9 times yesterday which is new for me. my poor fingertips :arghh:

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I constantly struggle with motivation , some days I don't test and will skip insulin doses. My hba1c levels reflect this. I am in a similar position to yourself and would like to have children in the near future, many people have criticised that this should be all the motivation I need but obviously they don't have to live with the condition.
Through the help of an excellent nurse at my GP surgery and recently attending DAFNE I have managed to reduce my hba1c. I am also about to start a libre trial so I'm hoping for some good results.
Do you have supportive friends and family you can vent to or check in with? I've sometimes found this helps. I also saw my nurse every two weeks at one point to keep me on track though I don't know if this would be possible for you.

Reactions: Juicyj

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I constantly struggle with motivation , some days I don't test and will skip insulin doses. My hba1c levels reflect this. I am in a similar position to yourself and would like to have children in the near future, many people have criticised that this should be all the motivation I need but obviously they don't have to live with the condition.
Through the help of an excellent nurse at my GP surgery and recently attending DAFNE I have managed to reduce my hba1c. I am also about to start a libre trial so I'm hoping for some good results.
Do you have supportive friends and family you can vent to or check in with? I've sometimes found this helps. I also saw my nurse every two weeks at one point to keep me on track though I don't know if this would be possible for you.
I have my partner who i've been telling everything to and my step mum, who basically raised me and tried to micromanage my life around it. My best friend who is coming with us. Seeing the nurse every two weeks might be a good thing for me! I haven't done DAFNE yet but i can carb count and i'm currently testing out a new ratio :)
My issue is when i get home - we have so much rubbish in that i can't help just munching, and its shown in my evening results. But i woke up at 4.8 this morning! While that's a little lower than i'd like, it's around the right area :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Shannon27 small steps to start with.....you are now on the right track
49 year type 1 here. I did the DAFYDD (DAFNE) course over 15 years ago. I didn't think I would benefit from it as I knew it all anyway!! How wrong was I. If you get the chance to do the course I would jump in both feet to do it

localshop

@Shannon27 small steps to start with.....you are now on the right track
49 year type 1 here. I did the DAFYDD (DAFNE) course over 15 years ago. I didn't think I would benefit from it as I knew it all anyway!! How wrong was I. If you get the chance to do the course I would jump in both feet to do it
please tell me that DAFYDD is the Welsh version of DAFNE?! :)

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Shannon27
This is me all over! I can go to work and take meals with me and I'll have already figured out my carb portions but then I get home and actually feast! DAFNE is great in that it teaches you how to spot patterns and adjust your insulin accordingly. I feel so much more confident adjusting my ratios now.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Correct :) ...... Dose Adjustment For Your Daily Diet. Gwych :)
It just sounds so.... welsh! Who'd have thunk it actually stood for something that makes more sense than "Normal Eating"? What even IS normal eating!? :p

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks - day 4 and still at it, starting to feel better physically too. Not quite as exhausted all the time. I can tell this because i've been able to cut back on the coffee :D
Been uploading to diasend and it's worth it just to watch my average dropping. It's fallen by 2.4mmol since Monday, which goes to show both how often i was testing (not much at all!) and how high my readings were.
How do you upload insulin and carb intake via the phone app? I'm uploading my readings via Bluetooth directly from my Contour Next One meter, but inputting the carbs and insulin via the Contour Next app. Is this only a one way sync, where this information doesn't go on the meter itself?
On diasend it says there are options for manually inputting the information, but i don't know how or what i need to click!
Thanks again to all you lovely people for your support!

Last edited:
Reactions: MeiChanski

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @porl69 , i'm fine with both apps, it just linking between them so i can upload all my injections and carbs to diasend. I can input them no problem on the Contour app but it says App connections aren't available in my the UK :(

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Give them an email. They may be able to shed some light on it

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on one trial and loved it! Last time i saw them they were talking about maybe putting me on a second "trial", the sensors are a little out of my price range at the minute as i've recently bought a house :( i'm not eligible for prescription as i don't test 8+ times per day. Sometimes i don't hit 4. So i need to remedy that!

I'm starting the Harcombe diet as of tomorrow (this evening but you gotta start with full days ha!), this is a low carb diet where you get an optional allowance of 50g dry weight brown rice or quinoa per day, and gradually reintroduce things like dairy, berries etc. I'm expecting a rough couple of weeks while my hypo awareness reassigns again, but looking forward to experimenting with food a bit more! :)
I think we all know how you feel. I think there is a quote somewhere along the lines of 'no other condition demands more of its patients' (than type 1).Our control is all on us and takes up a lot of 'cognitive real estate'.
For me it is about nixing bad habits e.g. not testing before meals/bed or late night snacking.
It is a great idea to work on feeling good with type 1 before getting pregnant as this will be anew curve ball!!
Good luck. Just know that we all get it and I truly hope you can get an FSL on script by asking at the next review perhaps when that hba1c is a little worse than it should be? I also slightly fibbed and said i did test 8 x daily because on certain days I have done that and certainly with fsl this is much more likely!

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay you got me. Its like preganancy. You are or you aren't . I am not but I did fib!
I would definitely fib to make my life easier with the Libre haha! But they ask to look at my meter to get an idea of what my readings are like when i go for my checkups :( this isn't wholly accurate as i do panic and start testing and getting better control in the week or 2 leading up to my appointment. That's why i'm making myself upload to Diasend every day :) had a few highs but no hypos yet :)

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spoke too soon, not really a hypo but my lowest reading since i started of 4.3 :(
Do you think your brain chemistry changes slightly when you're doing well (or at least, better than normal)? I've just gone into the kitchen at work to make some toast and a brew, someone has brought in cakes for their birthday and i wasn't even tempted! A week ago i would have helped myself to a jam doughnut with no qualms!

Reactions: Jollymon