Comedians And Diabetes

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
The same but opposite for me as a T2 being told to eat some cake and just inject more insulin.

I think your/our issue is really with so called Health Care Professionals who should know at least the minimum about diabetes but who don't, and instead blithely rely on snippets of hearsay to give inexpert "advice".

People with diabetes are more often then not fully aware of the differences (having had to learn rapidly after first diagnosis). One problem is the lack of ongoing training for HCPs. I have heard that the total training on diabetes for GPs can be one lecture somewhere in the middle of their initial training. Nursing staff have a similar issue. Training which covers everything from adenoids to zygotes doesn’t have room for much detail. The training could also have been 20 years ago.

What is lacking is an awareness of how little they know. Or perhaps they are afraid to admit ignorance because they think it might undermine their authority.

Oh, and although the route to the condition is different, I assume that insulin dependent T2s have mainly the same issues as T1s?
The finest doctors I have met all take patient experience into account and don't talk to us like we are toddlers.

Reactions: Struma and kitedoc

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Has to be 'pancreatic failure' given those two options...which means you can disassociate yourself from me and the rest of us ''who caused this ourselves' lol. ;) (yeh I know you're too nice to do that :))

Not a chance of me doing that........according to all the tests I'm t2 and its obviously "my fault" my pancreas suddenly totally gave up regardless of the actual reason......lol.......besides I don't mind being t2 as I have great friends here who are both types....:happy:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is concern about an obesity epidemic though isn't there? So should food be given as a prize at all?
I somewhat agree but people are always going to want cakes biscuits and chocolate etc and will not stop eating them while they can. Lets be honest would we all have given them up if we had not needed to we would probably have gone on happily eating them without a thought. I never ate much sweet foods but occasionally I did if I fancied it but not any more and I do miss that

Reactions: Robinredbreast

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I somewhat agree but people are always going to want cakes biscuits and chocolate etc and will not stop eating them while they can. Lets be honest would we all have given them up if we had not needed to we would probably have gone on happily eating them without a thought. I never ate much sweet foods but occasionally I did if I fancied it but not any more and I do miss that
I suppose you're right if I wasn't T2 and wasn't fat I would eat biscuits.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As a non producer ie: pancreas given up the ghost......where does that leave me........what condition would you say I have......
I don’t know, which I guess is why better minds than mine haven’t come up with better names for different kinds of diabetes. It’s a really tricky one, isn’t it? There’s a few routes to getting a clapped out pancreas!

Easy
Type 1 = pancreas can't be ar5sed

;):)
Can’t be pancrearsed?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I have been wondering about the use of diabetes (it's always type two - correct me if I am wrong) as the butt of jokes on tele, and been very happy for the op to read others with diabetes on this forum wondering the same kind of thing...

I love comedy and stand up in popular culture, and use it absolutely as a way to lower anxiety and pep up dull or depressing moments in my life - the wonders of having a good laugh for sure.

So I do think a lot about it when T2D is brought up as a joke in a show I am watching. (In the past year or so - I am thinking about The Eastenders, and on the new Roseanne show.) Because it is true, I don't laugh about T2D. Unfunnily enough.

I guess it is because it is one of the diseases listed as a disease you really don't want to get, and it is so tightly tied up with food, and food - well. Don't we know? It is very anxiety-causing, is the motivation from the writers or comics. Because what are the chances those writers or comics are eating the same S.A.D. stuff we did? No wonder folks are anxious. (They should be!) Interesting that the joke in The Eastenders I am thinking about was around sweets and cakes and so on at kids' party, and in Roseanne it was about medication. (There are threads in this forum that have discussed both.)

Should I laugh about diabetes? Hmmmm. Do I want other people (without T2D) to laugh about it? Hmmmm. I think if I met up with a bunch of other folks with T2D and we ended up cracking jokes and laughing about what a pain in the butt having diabetes is in various ways I would be all for it. (By the way, this has never happened. I did go to a party recently where a woman was going into hospital the following week to see if she was going to lose her only good eye as well, due to T2, and I can promise you - no-one was laughing!) But if I went to a party and folks without diabetes started making jokes about type twos being foolish enough to get something that often comes from food - and in the popular culture - being a couch potato (By the way - I love my couch! That's where I am when I watch those shows) - which is where the joke is kinda at in my experience, I would be very very very uncomfortable. And not laughing.

This is the standard thing, isn't it? If the joke is we are lazy idiots who brought this disease on ourselves and look what a pain life is with the darned thing, in terms of diet restrictions and medication, then those with T2D will not be laughing, I hazard a guess. Because it ain't funny.

Reactions: zand

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Having self humour about one's self and one's ailments is one thing, others not in the same boat (but in glass houses of their own) should not be throwing stones.

D

Deleted member 308541

Having self humour about one's self and one's ailments is one thing, others not in the same boat (but in glass houses of their own) should not be throwing stones.
I miss Steady Eddy's humour when he first started out as a comedian although he has since moved on from it, it still showed that you could have a disability and poke fun at oneself as well.

To much touchyfeely pc stuff nowadays...

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t say I find being type 1 for 43 years a huge laugh, but things have got better and it’s the one subject I can shout about without fear of being knocked down with other people’s ignorance. My 7 year old self wrote in her Sindy Diary on New Year’s Day in 1976 - ‘I can’t eat sweets now and have had a lot of pricks!’ Obviously I’d no idea it’d not be temporary I enjoyed practicing on that Jaffa though x

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have been wondering about the use of diabetes (it's always type two - correct me if I am wrong) as the butt of jokes on tele, and been very happy for the op to read others with diabetes on this forum wondering the same kind of thing...

I love comedy and stand up in popular culture, and use it absolutely as a way to lower anxiety and pep up dull or depressing moments in my life - the wonders of having a good laugh for sure.

So I do think a lot about it when T2D is brought up as a joke in a show I am watching. (In the past year or so - I am thinking about The Eastenders, and on the new Roseanne show.) Because it is true, I don't laugh about T2D. Unfunnily enough.

I guess it is because it is one of the diseases listed as a disease you really don't want to get, and it is so tightly tied up with food, and food - well. Don't we know? It is very anxiety-causing, is the motivation from the writers or comics. Because what are the chances those writers or comics are eating the same S.A.D. stuff we did? No wonder folks are anxious. (They should be!) Interesting that the joke in The Eastenders I am thinking about was around sweets and cakes and so on at kids' party, and in Roseanne it was about medication. (There are threads in this forum that have discussed both.)

Should I laugh about diabetes? Hmmmm. Do I want other people (without T2D) to laugh about it? Hmmmm. I think if I met up with a bunch of other folks with T2D and we ended up cracking jokes and laughing about what a pain in the butt having diabetes is in various ways I would be all for it. (By the way, this has never happened. I did go to a party recently where a woman was going into hospital the following week to see if she was going to lose her only good eye as well, due to T2, and I can promise you - no-one was laughing!) But if I went to a party and folks without diabetes started making jokes about type twos being foolish enough to get something that often comes from food - and in the popular culture - being a couch potato (By the way - I love my couch! That's where I am when I watch those shows) - which is where the joke is kinda at in my experience, I would be very very very uncomfortable. And not laughing.

This is the standard thing, isn't it? If the joke is we are lazy idiots who brought this disease on ourselves and look what a pain life is with the darned thing, in terms of diet restrictions and medication, then those with T2D will not be laughing, I hazard a guess. Because it ain't funny.
Yeah but if you looked at the stuff they were eating you would be creasing up with laughter. :D

I roll around the floor laughing at the contents of my wife’s lunch box. Metaphorically speaking of course.

Last edited: