1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coming off Metformin, eGFR, A1Cnow test

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by LittleGreyCat, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Yes, that seems the case. I cannot compare anything to my lab tests - nothing matches in my case. However, the A1cNow does match my other data.

2. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just got my latest blood tests back.
    My A1CNow HbA1c home test was 6.1%.
    The laboratory test was 7.2%.
    Both tests taken on the same day.

On that basis the A1CNow test looks to be potentially misleading in my particular case.

That is one heck of a difference, really. That is an average of 9.5%!

Now to undertake a flurry of blood testing instead of the occasional check.

I have really no idea what is going on because my results up to late last year were reasonable to good. Last HbA1c test was 6.4%.

3. Bluetit1802

I would do a lot of testing and averaging, and see where that takes you. It is always possible you are like I am and have some sort of red blood cell differences from the accepted norm, making the HbA1c read higher than it should. A Libre would help. My HbA1c was similarly higher, but also similarly higher than obsessive testing and my Libre after adjustments for it reading slightly low.

4. LittleGreyCat

First problem is getting a Libre. The Abott website says they aren't supplying any new starter
    packs at the moment.

5. Bluetit1802

But you can still register and go on the waiting list. You will get one when they have enough in stock. Or have they stopped that now? If you have a compatible phone you can manage without the reader and buy sensors from a pharmacy.

6. LittleGreyCat

OK. I have a Galaxy S5 so I think that is compatible. Will have to check local pharmacies. Reportedly not all sell them.

7. Bluetit1802

I would stick a new thread up. Plenty of T1s know which pharmacies are best for price and also for not arguing about VAT exemption. I haven't followed these carefully, but have read some of the posts.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook