Type 2 Coming off the meds?

Geordie86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all,
So I should be hearing back any day now with my latest HbA1c results (last was 42), and if they confirm the last results the nurse said they will be taking me off the meds (Metformin MR/Canagliflozin).
I just wondered if any of you who were on meds for T2, and managed to reach remission, could give me an idea of what it was like coming off the meds and going diet controlled? Anything I should be looking to anticipate? Did you have to further change your diet/notice any spikes in BG or anything like that? Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Geordie :)

D

Deleted member 543160

Good luck with your results and keep up the good work!

If you're likely to be making a big dietary change from mainly carbs to mainly fats for energy, then while your body adjusts be aware of the possibility of low carb "flu".

And if you can afford it, I'd highly recommend using a Libre sensor for a time to show you exactly how the changes in your meds might affect you. You get a lot more info than you can from a meter...

While I won't claim remission, (my GP calls me well controlled) I've been T2 for nearly 8 years with HbA1cs mostly in the low pre-diabetic /high normal range (with occasional. generally non-dietary blips) since 2-3 months after diagnosis. I started off by cutting out all the obvious high carb foods immediately, and ending up on a very low carb/ketogenic diet quite quickly. I've always eaten normal full fat food and apart from a few years pre-diagnosis I'd also eaten a moderate carb diet so I had no problems with dietary changes - apart from being a bit peevish that I should no longer eat a few of my favourite foods...:hungry::banghead: I was on SR metformin for the first 3 years until my GP finally decided I didn't actually need it, and I stopped taking it straight away, and this made not the slightest difference to my glucose levels.

(I was also on statins from long before I was diabetic, and finally persuaded another GP - who was my "diabetes go to" for a while - that I should stop taking them due to their association with diabetes, and this DID reduce my glucose levels slightly!)