Coming to live in Aus, need some help with health insurance

Hamish26

plan is to live and work in sydney.

I dont really understand the difference between medicare and private health insurance? in UK we have NHS which is provided to every tax payer and there is where I get my diabetic supplies. So i Aus do I need to have private health insurance? If I do- whats the benefits are?

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Medicare in simple terms is the equivalent of the NHS.

This is not a bad media piece that may help you decide whether you need private health insurance once you achieve permanent residency.

You do need to check what access to healthcare your visa provides you until you obtain permanent residency though.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I live in Aus. I'm pretty certain (please check) that all UK citizens are covered by Medicare in Australia.
https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/rhca-visiting-from-united-kingdom
Medicare covers all public hospital admissions, some GP visits (bulk billing clinics) and access to subsidised medications. All prescription drugs are max $38 (25 pens / cartridges) of insulin, packet of drugs e.g. statins (unless there is a generic brand that maybe much cheaper.
Private Health Insurance covers elective procedures e.g. knee reconstruction (you could get this done in a public hospital, but depending on a number of things you may need to wait months to years) whereas private, next week. Most private hospitals do not have emergency departments and do not perform complex procedures. Insulin pumps are also provided as part of private health insurance.
Private Health insurance also have an add on package Extras, this covers some or all costs of prescription glasses, dentist, physio, hearing aids etc.
You must get onto the NDSS, this gives you access to highly discounted pump supplies and blood glucose strips.
Also get Ambulance cover (sometimes covered by private health insurance). If you are healthy and don't need a pump for a number of years, Private Health insurance may not be of any benefit, because if you need emergency hospital you will be carried of to a public hospital.
NDSS is the National Diabetics Services Scheme show your card and a pack of 100 Blood Glucose Test Strips is about $16 instead of $66. You need to go through a process to get pump supplies added, but once you do it will cost around $27 per month.
I would suggest bring :-
- 3 weeks of insulin
- 2 months of pump supplies
find a good GP (keep shopping around until you do) and find out about ambulance cover.
Private Health Insurance is not that expensive in Australia, especially for basic that is all that is required for Insulin Pumps.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hamish26

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
plan is to live and work in sydney.

I dont really understand the difference between medicare and private health insurance? in UK we have NHS which is provided to every tax payer and there is where I get my diabetic supplies. So i Aus do I need to have private health insurance? If I do- whats the benefits are?
Might it be worth contacting the Australian embassy in the UK? Just a thought..

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The embassy would not be equipped to handle those queries mate. It's way too intricate a subject

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everybody,

I am new here and I'd appreciate some support here regarding one subject.
I am 26 years old British and coming to Aus on a temporary working visa for 6 months and after that will enroll on a permanent viza my gf will get from her company.

I cant really find a sufficient support in order to understand more about health insurance and what I am eligible to get?
I have my own insulin pump (I am type 1), but in terms of insulin and other quipment, what does Medicare sponsosrs, if they wont sponsor-how much would that cost?

I would appreciate any support from someone who had this experience before :)
This one gives some reasonably detailed advice.. or maybe not.. dunno if you have seen it before
https://www.ndss.com.au/visiting-or-moving-to-australia