1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Completely inaccurate freestyle libre scans

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by hollyslot, Jun 2, 2020.

1. hollyslot

hollyslot Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

each time I scan my freestyle libre, it is completely inaccurate compared to my finger prick tests. I have had it on for 5 days now, and I would think by now it would be accurate. For example it will scan as 5.7, but when I finger prick- my BG is 10.5.

does anyone know what I can do about this?

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Call Abbott and tell them you have a faulty sensor. Don't take it off yet, they might want you to do a couple more tests.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Make sure you have a record of tests, and leave fifteen mins between blood and Libre so they can’t say you weren’t allowing for the difference between blood and interstitial

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hollyslot

hollyslot Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you I called Abbott and they are sending a replacement!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. CelalDari

CelalDari · Guest

I tried a Freestyle Libre for 2 weeks for the first time. For the first 2-3 days my BG was 0.4-0.7 mmol/L off my actual reading which was not bad since the Libre is 15 min behind.

During the mid term of using it the accuracy was amazing, sometimes I would get the same values both on Libre and glucometer. However by day 11/12 the sensor became inaccurate and the inaccuracy increased day by day until a difference of 2.7 mmol/L between real BG and Libre values.

Anyways I used it for the 14 days and at the end I contacted Abbott Diabetes Care to say my complaints. They asked a few questions, my address and boom! they said they will replace my sensor for free. They also send a free post envelope so you can send back the old inaccurate sensor. Make sure you don’t throw away your sensor.

I will try the Libre for another 2 weeks and will see if it’s something I should invest in because I heard it’s hard to get it on the NHS

• Like Like x 1
  6. NaijaChick

NaijaChick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I found out the hard way that the FSL doesn’t work with those with sickle cell trait. I keep “hyping” on its readings but FPT showed that I wasn’t even under 7. It sucks as I have 5 boxes that I paid for at home.

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They don't always, the last month I've had 2 replacements and was told to just dispose of my sensors, 1 inaccurate from day 8 and the other fell off 15 hours after applying xx

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook