Complications piling up.....

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
What I want to know now is, taking all this into account, am i likely to experience heart problems in the near future? I've always just ignored signs and advice but now I have a family to think about. Any opinions would be welcome. Thnx

I don't think you really are asking that. You know the answer already don't you? I think you are asking 'am I in denial?' And so, the answer is yes, yes, you are. Until you sort that out then you won't be able to change anything; once you have accepted that you are a diabetic you will be able to start dealing with it. Don't for a moment think that your diabetes is ignoring you whilst you are ignoring it though.

All the information is right here, all you need to do is decide you want to take control.

Regards

Dillinger

Reactions: 11 people

Draven619

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I agree very much with all the above posts re... smoking. But stopping smoking is not going to alter your bg levels..

What will alter them, is you doing more bg tests, taking notice of the results and then either altering the insulin doseage or reducing
or increasing the amount of carbohydrate eaten. Once youve been able to shift the balance a bit more on how high your bg levels go about 3hrs after eating food or how low as well, your overal range of bg control will get much better and not worse.

How many times per day are you testing your bg levels and do you bother to calculate the carb in the food you are going to eat or just use guesswork and eat what you want?

Once youve been able to get your insulin correct for the food that you eat, you can then tackle the smoking problem.

Hope this helps and makes you have a think
I usually only test my blood sugars if i'm drinking a lot of fluids and suspect high sugars. Sometimes its once a day and sometimes its only two or three times a week. My last hba1c result was 92 which works out an average of around 16 i think. My **** attitude is my biggest obstacle to recovery.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I stopped for some 3 months using an electronic ciggy. I only started again because I was in hospital and was bored, stressed out and my charger broke one night. I plan to go back onto my e-ciggy soon, then long term, taper off the nicotine. I have smoked since I was 14 so it is a tough habit to break. I am generally very fit and active, go to gym 3 times a week and run 5 miles twice a week, but I'm getting to the age where my body is no longer made of magic and just wont tolerate any abuse I chuck at it.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly what I did as well, no ciggies now for 36 years. mrs Bear said she didnt like me smoking so I smashed the pack I had in my hand and threw it away. Would have been a little happier if she had said this 10 minutes earlier, before I had purchased said pack.
I wonder whether crushing and throwing away the pack actually helped? Rather like cutting up a credit card: neither is necessary to giving up smoking or getting out of debt, but perhaps it gives a psychological boost to destroy the addictive item.

Kate

kman

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Knowing others Won't learn from my mistakes, Being TERMINALLY ILL !
I don't think you really are asking that. You know the answer already don't you? I think you are asking 'am I in denial?' And so, the answer is yes, yes, you are. Until you sort that out then you won't be able to change anything; once you have accepted that you are a diabetic you will be able to start dealing with it. Don't for a moment think that your diabetes is ignoring you whilst you are ignoring it though.

All the information is right here, all you need to do is decide you want to take control.

Regards

Dillinger

I agree with Dillinger, you can not ignore Diabetes safely, in anyway, not for 20 years, or even for 1. Day, Don't let it panic you or scare you, but read my Thread, Terminal. and Scared. in the Diabetes Complications section of this Forum, just see what might happen if you were to Ignore Diabetes, not looking for sympathy, just trying to warn others of the hidden Dangers. !

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently followed a link at another forum to a German brochure about the treatment of diabetes in that country. They put a lot more emphasis on the psychological aspects of diabetes than seems to happen in the UK. A quote from the document says:

"In diabetes management, the patient takes on a decisive role since he/she must carry out the essential therapeutic measures on in day to day life, in a responsible manner and on a permanent basis. As a consequence, the prognosis for diabetes largely depends on how successful the patient is in this endeavour, taking into consideration his or her social, cultural, family, and work environment."

http://www.deutsche-diabetes-gesell...tient_guideline_psychosocial_and_diabetes.pdf

I agree with the poster who suggested CBT. Seems pretty clear you need some help in sorting out why you are self-sabotaging. As Dillinger said, you can ignore your diabetes, but don't kid yourself for one moment that it's ignoring you back.

Re. Champix - using it helped me give up smoking for the third (and hopefully final) time 3 years ago - and just like the other times I put on 20kg and ended up with a Type 2 diagnosis. Not wanting to be flippant, but weight gain/loss is really not that big a deal compared to the other issues you face. One of the tricks I found really useful from the Alan Carr book was calculating what you've spent over a lifetime on helping yourself into an early grave. I was a chain smoker for 45 years and figured I could probably have bought 2 houses for the amount I'd thrown away on smoking :greedy:

Reactions: 2 people

sonia76b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to this and only joined today, but felt your lifestyle is very similar to mine, I've had type 1 for 28 years and at the age of 37 have just started to take care, I too smoked 30 - 40 a day, ( not smoked now for 8 weeks) my last hba1c was over 130 and I have just been diagnosed with peripheal neuropathy, I also have background retinopathy and sometimes feel like I am a living time bomb and my time is running out.... However, it is never too late, and it's true, giving up smoking and good control are the two best things you can do, this alone will make a huge difference, I am just starting to take regular insulin again and trying to get into a routine with testing my sugars, I'm lucky to be alive with the risks that I have taken, my son aged 8 didn't even know I was a diabetic as I've been so lapse and led a life as if I'm not. I'm still a long way off for good control but at least I am trying now, I hope, that you, like me will get to make the changes necessary as continuing in the way we are, will eventually catch up....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Hi Draven619 Sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time. Have you tried the nicotine patches? Don't give up, it took me two attempts to quit smoking with the help of the nicotine patches so please don't be so hard on yourself, you will get there when you are ready! I totally understand where you are coming from, it almost feels like all of your pleasures in life have been taken away from you but once you start feeling more healthier etc you will see things in a different light. Wish you all the best.

sicko666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Textbook medical profesionals! Narrow minded people.
Having used CGM for the past 5 mths, I would recommend everyone tries testing more regularly for brief periods (if you can get the strips that is!). You will be staggered by the huge fluctuations that occur - the ups and downs you previously didn't realise were happening! This provides you with a huge amount of additional info (inc the effects of different food combinations, exercise, hormonal effects, timing of injections etc etc) on which to make future decisions. Requires dedication and planning, but worth the effort in my view! Big rewards.

:( A CGM how?!!!!!!!!!?????? I am needle phobic,NEED to go onto a pump because of my eyes,have epilepsy which is triggered by low BG and been told by Havering Health Care "We dont do CGM's", i looked into getting a second hand CGM BUT the supplies for a year equal £2500+ and i only get £3500 a year total income........
Sorry, just am so annoyed,one ijection a day, two injections a day,two jet injections a day (NO needles! ), at the moment 4 jet injections a day because they redesined the bloody injector making it too small,hopeing to go onto inhaled insulin but never got the chance, NOW been told i have to go onto 4 injections plus 4 BG needles ( thats 8 needles a day for a needle phobic!!!! )......Sorry again,just angry,if they sacked the usless consultants and diabetic staff and paid me dirrectly for my own care i could afford a CGM AND Inport the inhaled insulin or go onto a pump thats 1-2 needles a day NOT 8+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol sorry again just ranting because the NHS it seems just want to continue to increase my pain and suffering instead of reducing it!

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd transfer to a more supportive team/hospital if I were you.

For info, you still have a minimum of two finger pricks a day using CGM unfortunately, in order to calibrate it (or results would be v inaccurate). I've heard some areas do support CGM payments if a special case is made by your consultant. I fund mine from my pension, and am hoping that after a period of 'learning' I may manage without it. V expensive....

Why not try CBT for your phobia? It must make things v difficult but I'm sure help is available on NHS for this, in your very special case?

James12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i've been an insulin dependent diabetic for 23 years now and my control was perfect for the first year. Then however it went downhill thanks to my discovery that eating sweets and chocolate only changed a number. I.e my results went from 6's and 7's to 9's and 10's, something i could live with I thought (i was age 11 when diagnosed). Fast forward to the present and my control is worse than ever, my last hb1c was 92 meaning my average bm is around 16 which sounds about right. In the last year and a half I have been told I have the beginning of hardening of the arteries in my legs, I've had 3 sessions of laser surgery to remove burst blood vessels in my eyes and more recently been told my kidneys are leaking protein. Really thought i would be in my fifties before i encountered problems like this. Add to this the fact that i smoke around 30 a day, havn't eaten fruit or veg in years and rarely exercise. I'm only 34 but feel older than my years although I accept its of my own doing. What I want to know now is, taking all this into account, am i likely to experience heart problems in the near future? I've always just ignored signs and advice but now I have a family to think about. Any opinions would be welcome. Thnx

Sounds like your body is essentially disintegrating, You need to educate yourself on how to get your diabetes under control, many people are able to normalise their blood sugars and reverse complications (even late stage complications) however it will take some work! 2 books: Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes Solution and think like a pancreas by Gary Scheiner. Type1 can either ravish your body and slowly kill you or barely touch you at all. Good luck and i hope your able to reverse your complications asap.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Draven,

There's a pattern showing in your posts:
  • You explain a bad situation (complications, smoking, possibility of heart disease)
  • You say how the situation developed
  • You state that the problem is your choice (**** attitude, liking smoking...)
  • You offer no solution. No suggestion. No commitment.
  • You respond to suggestions and helpful advice with helplessness.
It's a stage in the process. But nothing will change if you don't change your attitude.

The good news is that, at this point, you can still halt the development of complications, and may even reverse some of them.

However, until you move out of wallowing (yup, I used that unsympathetic word deliberately)
the situation will continue to get worse.

When you are ready, this forum is a mine of useful information, support and good advice. But YOU have to make some CHANGES.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I agree that giving up smoking would be the best place to start, however if it's not that easy for you, start somewhere else, improve your diet or exercise. It's just important that you gradually start to change habits. Swap some of the 'bad' things you eat for better ones. maybe you could cut down smoking a little to start with. Once you have started some where it will be easer to make other changes.

I used to have a problem with eating crisps, lots of them, since childhood. Then a friend lost a leg through diabetes. Now I think do I really want the crisps? Or do I really want to keep both legs?

Draven, facing the problem is the hardest bit and you've done that really. You know what you need to do and here you will find the tools to do it. zand is right though, start small and although the problems sound huge if you tackle them in small bits one day you find you have arrived at a place you can be happy with.

Not starting, as you know, doesn't make it go away.

Good Luck :)

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:greedy:OK not to put to fine a point on it. You are being totally selfish. Do you really want to leave your wife/partner on there own and leave your child/children without a Dad??? It isn't only smoking that is the problem is it? You are in denial over the food you eat as well. No one can help you if you wont help yourself. Time to grow up and take control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Hello... Greetings from Bolivia :) Just signed in to tell u that I've just been there too. Just a month ago I woke up from a severe hypo attack to realize I couldnt pee. Hadnt seen the doctor in 2 years so were sort of fasting and thirsting for 4 days until the doc asked for all the analysis. Was so sure it was the invoice from my kidneys... thank God with diet and undusting of the glucometer things went along pretty better though Im right now strugling with reducing carbs which were my ONLY vice (sugared cookies, candies white bread u get the idea). Since my legs are some kind of numb I've realized its time to start behaving like a type 1 diabetic. Did I mention have a 6 year old daughter? Its hard but with time a glucometer and a journal you can archieve it. There is no reason to get to the level where you need dialysis or get blind. An advice would be to include oat and oat wheat in your diet, can add sugarfree cocoa or cinnamon its delicious and doesnt rise ur bs levels as fast as bread; u can also try to put natural yogurt as a topping is very nice... Anything that is not pro cessed

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Your life is worth the sacrifice... Otherwise in less than 10 years your children will have to be taking care of you and I dont think u would like that for them wouldnt u? Try to go to the endocrynologist it will be worth :) My best whishes from someone who totally understands; take care, one day at the time ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

sicko666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Textbook medical profesionals! Narrow minded people.
I'd transfer to a more supportive team/hospital if I were you.

For info, you still have a minimum of two finger pricks a day using CGM unfortunately, in order to calibrate it (or results would be v inaccurate). I've heard some areas do support CGM payments if a special case is made by your consultant. I fund mine from my pension, and am hoping that after a period of 'learning' I may manage without it. V expensive....

Why not try CBT for your phobia? It must make things v difficult but I'm sure help is available on NHS for this, in your very special case?

Thanks for replying,lol, sorry if i sounded a bit angry it was the week i found out CGM's are no longer funded in Havering,and only 1 pump a month let alone the fact your case is assesed by bean counters and not doctors even when the consultant said i should get one, add the fact you have to go through a DAFNE and blood testing 5 times a day before your allowed to apply for a pump and if you do this they then say because you have done the BG testing you cant be needle phobic so dont qualify for a pump being needle phobic! Anyone else here see the way this has been structured so no-one will be eliagible for a pump without them breaking any NICE guidlines!!!!!! It always supprises me how much of a "postcode lottery" there is in the NHS, if i lived in birmingham i could get a pump AND a L-port so i would never need inject with a needle again!
Lol anyone here feel like robbing a few banks so we can go private lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you know what to do, now you have to put it into action, take control of your diabetes and your blood sugars, as for the smoking I use the e CIG and have not had a fag since and I feel a lot better for it, so good luck

Paul577

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah I bought one of those eshisha electronic things with the oils. Unfortunately i smoked it in between smoking rollups and ended up not cutting down at all. I still have it so I suppose its an option if I manage to try quitting.
If quitting is not an option for you then it would be worth getting a decent e cig device ( not the cig-a-likes), one that will give a decent approximation of the smoking experience. Many people are able to use them as a pathway to the elimination of nicotine . Clearly quitting is better but vaping on something that tastes decent has to be better than traditional cigarettes .