"complications"

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had type 1 since i was 2, 20 now. I feel ok, i have had my rough times with highs etc and my hbc results were horrendous, that being said i have turned myself around, my results are going much better. I also got bloods for all my kidney, thyroid etc etc.. That all back back good!! I just want to hear that "complications" doesnt mean death.. ? It scares me greatly. Being 20, am i already more than half way through life?? :( also who else has had t1 from a very young age??????? Thank u.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
You know, when you say that complications 'scare me greatly', I'd have to ask if that is completely bad. Ok, it's not good to be constantly living in fear and there is no need for it, but one thing that none of us can really afford, is to be complacent about the risks.

Although I was diagnosed late in life, it doesn't mean that I am any less concerned about the potential consequences of letting my glucose levels become uncontrolled. But we've had several people join the forums recently who are reporting being free from complications after +50yrs of living with T1 diabetes.

So I am heartened by the fact that with good glucose control, the risks of bad things happening are probably not much worse than any other aspect of modern life.

Be lucky.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have had type 1 since i was 2, 20 now. I feel ok, i have had my rough times with highs etc and my hbc results were horrendous, that being said i have turned myself around, my results are going much better. I also got bloods for all my kidney, thyroid etc etc.. That all back back good!! I just want to hear that "complications" doesnt mean death.. ? It scares me greatly. Being 20, am i already more than half way through life?? :( also who else has had t1 from a very young age??????? Thank u.

I was a tad older than you as diagnosed aged 4 1/2 that was 51 years ago though have no complications at all. I think you have made a typo as life begins at 40 not ends :p

Reactions: 4 people

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was a tad older than you as diagnosed aged 4 1/2 that was 51 years ago though have no complications at all. I think you have made a typo as life begins at 40 not ends :p

WOW. That has made my day. How has life been with highs and lows, have you had a share of highs?? Thanks so much for sharing thats inspiring :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
WOW. That has made my day. How has life been with highs and lows, have you had a share of highs?? Thanks so much for sharing thats inspiring :)
When diagnosed we had no blood sugar testing kits until at least 20 if not 25 years after I was diagnosed all we had was the urine testing kit which others can tell you were as good as useless. On the whole I tend not to go to high the lows are just dealt with and I get on with life. I've never had an ambulance call due to a hypo so been very lucky in that respect.

To keep things in perspective I just treat my blood sugars as numbers if they need correcting I do so either by a snack or a little more insulin I don't dwell on things, if having a bad day then tomorrow is another day so start again.
On another forum there is a gentleman who had had diabetes for 70 years he has no complications either :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Being 20, am i already more than half way through life?? :(

Life is only beginning at 20.

People with type 1 are living many decades with the condition much like @CarbsRok, I was reading an article a few week ago about a chap who had lived with the condition for 80 years and was still going strong, try not to dwell on what might be and just enjoy life @bigboi, the fact that you've turned your diabetes around and have good kidney/thyroid results is encouraging and more the reason to stay focussed.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have had it for 50yrs now 63. it's frighening if you think too much. But.. I know of a number of my friends and aqaintences from my youth who have passed on and they did'nt have type one. So guess it could have been worse.