Complications...

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone Im just feeling a bit low today. I recently received the eye test letter stating that eye had some background retinopathy. I went to the optician and had it cleared up it was a bleed -not good but felt bit better. Now the doctors have phoned me after my review and asked me to get another urine sample done for the hospital as there was some protein in my urine. I believe this is the 1st sign of kidney disease. I am very worried that I am packing up and I have been trying to get a lower hba1c this year. Sorry to moan just flagging a bit and stuck at work lol.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I believe this is the 1st sign of kidney disease.

It's not inevitable. I had higher levels of protein in my urine some years ago and the GP put it down to the amount of fluid I was drinking and inflammation of the kidneys. I now try to watch how much fluid I drink and no longer drink alcohol. My annual kidney function test has been normal for several years now.

Reactions: Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not inevitable. I had higher levels of protein in my urine some years ago and the GP put it down to the amount of fluid I was drinking and inflammation of the kidneys. I now try to watch how much fluid I drink and no longer drink alcohol. My annual kidney function test has been normal for several years now.
Thank you for replying, these things are just so frightening. I will get the extra test done and go from there. All my blood tests were great (I'm sure she said kidney and liver good in that group too). So many issues at once has just got me frazzled - I'm currently evaluating my job it's very stressful and this has really made me think

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bon83 is it possible that you could have had a UTI or similar? That will definitely give protein in the urine.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Bon83 how long have you been T1D? And have you been well controlled??

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bon83 how long have you been T1D? And have you been well controlled??
I was (probably incorrectly) diagnosed type 2 for about 3 years - my control was fab for about 2 years then sugars went up and up until diagnosed type 1 June 2016 - so 2 years now. This year I have really tried to get better hba1c and the review went well said everything was good. It just feels like a punch to the chest to now get eye result and protein in urine. Especially when no poor results when control worse in the paSt. Thanks for reading

Reactions: porl69

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone Im just feeling a bit low today. I recently received the eye test letter stating that eye had some background retinopathy. I went to the optician and had it cleared up it was a bleed -not good but felt bit better. Now the doctors have phoned me after my review and asked me to get another urine sample done for the hospital as there was some protein in my urine. I believe this is the 1st sign of kidney disease. I am very worried that I am packing up and I have been trying to get a lower hba1c this year. Sorry to moan just flagging a bit and stuck at work lol.

Clearly at your diabetes review, they're looking for protein, in relation, as you rightly suggest, to kidney health, but it could be anything as simple as a UTI.

Best to just get the re-wee over and done with and take it from there. Even if it is the touch of the beginnings of CKD, like retinopathy, the kidneys are pretty decent at sorting themselves out too, given decent control of sugars, BP and a following wind.

Bon83, it's easy for me to say, but just take things one step at a time.

Sometimes, though, life seems to line up the curved balls.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Fingers crossed it will be a UTI for the protein in the urine.

I have been diabetic forever (46 years)...Only recently (past 3-4 years) have I been in total control. I have recently been diagnosed with stage 4CKD. I lost the sight in my left eye around 15(?) years ago. Both thru really bad control for around 10 - 15 years! So I am really surprised its happening to you so soon.
It has all been spotted early with you, so hopefully you will get some good treatment and results for this.
Don't panic yet

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Additionally, @Bon83 , @porl69 's post made me think of a resentation on nephropathy I went to a few months ago. Something like a staggering 40% of the population have some form of CKD - although much if it very, very low level.

Obviously, not all these people are diagnosed with diabetes. For some it's herrereditary, for some, it's just, with age, their kidneys becoming less effective and of course, for some, there is a known reason.

Please don't think I am trivialising your situation. I'm not, but I'm just urging you not to fast-forward too far based on a single clue.

Reactions: porl69 and Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Additionally, @Bon83 , @porl69 's post made me think of a resentation on nephropathy I went to a few months ago. Something like a staggering 40% of the population have some form of CKD - although much if it very, very low level.

Obviously, not all these people are diagnosed with diabetes. For some it's herrereditary, for some, it's just, with age, their kidneys becoming less effective and of course, for some, there is a known reason.

Please don't think I am trivialising your situation. I'm not, but I'm just urging you not to fast-forward too far based on a single clue.
Thank you for your help everyone it's much appreciated x

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fingers crossed it will be a UTI for the protein in the urine.

I have been diabetic forever (46 years)...Only recently (past 3-4 years) have I been in total control. I have recently been diagnosed with stage 4CKD. I lost the sight in my left eye around 15(?) years ago. Both thru really bad control for around 10 - 15 years! So I am really surprised its happening to you so soon.
It has all been spotted early with you, so hopefully you will get some good treatment and results for this.
Don't panic yet
Thank you for sharing your experiences, you are really brave dealing with all that and still sharing it with others like me. Some days I feel sorry for myself that diabetes is cruel and unfair, sometimes I just think it's not my fault and try my best but now I'm sort of thinking I haven't tried hard enough and I've let these complications happen. It's all a bit depressing. It's only chatting to other diabetics sometimes that gives some clarity so thank you again x

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank you for sharing your experiences, you are really brave dealing with all that and still sharing it with others like me. Some days I feel sorry for myself that diabetes is cruel and unfair, sometimes I just think it's not my fault and try my best but now I'm sort of thinking I haven't tried hard enough and I've let these complications happen. It's all a bit depressing. It's only chatting to other diabetics sometimes that gives some clarity so thank you again x
You are more than welcome. I really don't class myself as brave....stupid when I was younger definitely.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
And I totally agree with you on talking with fellow diabetics who actually understand what we are going through each and EVERY day does help

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Clearly at your diabetes review, they're looking for protein, in relation, as you rightly suggest, to kidney health, but it could be anything as simple as a UTI.

Best to just get the re-wee over and done with and take it from there. Even if it is the touch of the beginnings of CKD, like retinopathy, the kidneys are pretty decent at sorting themselves out too, given decent control of sugars, BP and a following wind.

Bon83, it's easy for me to say, but just take things one step at a time.

Sometimes, though, life seems to line up the curved balls.
I dropped off the re wee yesterday morning it's to go to local hospital - so now it's just the waiting game. Hate that lol

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dropped off the re wee yesterday morning it's to go to local hospital - so now it's just the waiting game. Hate that lol

I agree the waiting is horrid, but on the upside, you're one day closer to clarification than you were yesterday, and at this stage done all you canin the process.

Fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree the waiting is horrid, but on the upside, you're one day closer to clarification than you were yesterrday, and at this stage done all you canin the process.

Fingers crossed for you.
No word today - I'm sorry going really off point now but I'm also starting to feel a bit ******. Very sweaty got a bit of stomach cramps plus my usual exercise is very hard to do. I did do a bit of Dr Google and seems to say poss uti? As crazy as it sounds I did a bit excited that it was infection not kidney damage. But my blood sugar isn't coming down as easy as it normally does. Is it harder to control if you have damaged kidneys? Sorry to be an absolute pain!!

Edit by Mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No word today - I'm sorry going really off point now but I'm also starting to feel a bit ******. Very sweaty got a bit of stomach cramps plus my usual exercise is very hard to do. I did do a bit of Dr Google and seems to say poss uti? As crazy as it sounds I did a bit excited that it was infection not kidney damage. But my blood sugar isn't coming down as easy as it normally does. Is it harder to control if you have damaged kidneys? Sorry to be an absolute pain!!

Edit by Mod for language

Sorry Bon, I couldn't advise if it's harder to control with CKD. Hopefully someone else will have the answer for you.

I imagine you won't have to wait too long for the wee test result. Fingers crossed.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Bon, I couldn't advise if it's harder to control with CKD. Hopefully someone else will have the answer for you.

I imagine you won't have to wait too long for the wee test result. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for helping- I am sorry about my language as well - it wasn't an extremely bad one - but I won't use it again promise ;)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for helping- I am sorry about my language as well - it wasn't an extremely bad one - but I won't use it again promise ;)

No worries. It wasn't the worst word in the world, and sometimes so tempting to let rip, but thanks for understanding.

Any news today?

Funnily (or not that funny at all!) enough, I have a UTI today, with a sample sent off to the lab, so I'll be watching my own patient access over the next few days to ensure the bugs and antibiotics are a good match. On the upside, I only have 6 tablets to take.