Concerned was this the keto flu?

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feb 7, 2020: This is interesting, at 5:30 pm my BG level was 4.3. 4.3 is the lowest I've been since starting the low carb/keto diet (Dec 8, 2019). I eat 6 chicken wings, 4 potato skins and 2 16 oz stouts ( 50 to 60 carbs total), two hours later my BG was 5.7, a rise of 1.4. On this evening I also felt sick, gut was extended (hard to the touch) and I was feeling nauseous. Was this keto flu? This hasn’t happen since I’ve been on the diet. On Jan 10, 2020 I had the same meal but with a salad. My BG was 5.3 at 5 PM and at 9 PM was 8.7, that’s 3.4 rise in BG over 4 hours (I forgot to test BG at 8 PM so I suspect it may have been higher 1 hour earlier). Also, Jan. 10 I remember feeling great. On the evening of Feb 7, I didn’t have my metformin and decided not to take later on. For the last week I have been taking 500 mg late morning (8 to 10) and in the evening (7 to 8). In the morning (next day) BG was 6.9. Note: earlier in the day I had eaten 2 homemade keto butter cookies with erythritol.

Thoughts...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keto flu is a name for a collection of symptoms that may occur when you drastically reduce the amount of carbohydrate you eat, and your body goes through some adjustment/changes while it learns to use fats as the primary fuel instead of carbohydrates. It may last days or weeks, but it doesn’t happen in reaction to a single meal.

If I understand your notes correctly, you got your symptoms after reintroducing significant carbs (and alcohol) after a period of abstinence. Do I have that right?

Your symptoms could be anything from food intolerances, bloating from the booze, indigestion, etc. etc. but keto flu? No, I don’t think so.

This is ‘Keto Flu’
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/flu-side-effects