Concerns for dementia diagnosed diabetics in hospital

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:( I've just read all of this thread.

I'm so sorry for everyone's losses!

Makes me scared of getting old when I read things like this!

Your loved ones were blessed to have families like you looking out for them.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 people

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Is there a patient's advocacy service at the hospital in question? Might be a good idea to ask them to comment - if they aren't too intimidated by the hospital trust.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Exact;ly donnellysdogs! I couldn't have put it better myself!!! - I have allready told the guy that I would need to read before any publication Alanp35 - I will keep you all updated. Lyn x

dmajam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am so sorry to read of these sad stories. My husband was diagnosed with Dementia 11 years ago. He managed fine until 2.1/2 years ago. He was getting dressed one Saturday morning and complained of not feeling very well. As he sat down, I noticed his eyes rolled, his mouth drooped and he slumped to one side. I immediately called for an ambulance, thinking he was having a stroke. The Paramedics were at our house within 10minutes, and were extremely quick dealing and caring for him. We were at the hospital within 30 minutes ( 12.20pm approx). We were at the A&E until 7pm. Most of which time no one bothered with us. on arrival his blood pressure was taken. The nurse wanted his blood to be taken, and told me the phleobotonist would be along shortly. I watched this guy walk pass our cubicle on numerous occasions, but, he never came to my husband. I spoke to the nurse about this, and after about 3 hours she came with another nurse, who then took his blood. I explained to the nurse that he was Diabetic and had had NO FOOD OR LIQUID SINCE THE NIGHT BEFORE, I WAS TOLD HE WOULD HAVE TO SEE THE DOCTOR BEFORE HE COULD HAVE ANYTHING. By now he was feeling sick. Eventually a Doctor came and asked for the blood results, but, as it had only just been taken, that was another wait for the results to come through. We saw no one for ages again, until 6pm the Doctor came to ask for a water sample, which was given and then another wait. The Doctor came back about 6.45pm, to say my husband had not had a stroke, it could be a virus, there was no suggestion of some medication to treat the virus or that he should go to see our own Doctor. He just said you can go home now. I gave my husband Paracetamol for the next week, until he felt better. There was obviously no follow up from the hospital to our own Doctor. I really feel that once people retire the medical people are not interested in them, they are just an expence and inconvenience.

Two years ago, I called the Doctor in to my husband, he was diagnosed with a water infection. At the end of the week the medication had run out and I phoned for a repeat prescription, to be told he was to go into the local rehabilitation hospital, to get him more stable on his feet. He wasn't well, of course his legs were week, he needed more medication. He was at the rehab for 7 days, they could not understand why his blood sugar was so high and he still was not well, they decided to send him to Chase Farm Hospital. It was of course, because he still had the water infection, had, they given him the repeat prescription when I asked, instead of sending him for rehab, he would have been better by then.

Sadly the story is not at an end. After a few days in Chase Farm, I arrived to find the nurse handing me a bunch of forms to fill in. When I asked her what it was for she said there was to be a meeting with the Doctor, nurse, physio and myself ( I could bring a witness if I wished) regarding my husband going into some home, as they though he was aggressive. I told them under no circumstances was that meeting going to take place as he was going nowhere except home to his family for as normal a life as we can give him. He had never been aggressive at home, but, with them stabbing him 4 times a day for his blood sugar and again another to ward offf thrombosis, I think I would be getting a bit shirty too. The first few days when I went to see him, he would be sitting out on a chair, then he was always in bed looking so uncomfortable. I asked the nurse why he was in bed all the time ( at home he was up dressed everyday, and pottered around) I was told that he was out on a chair, but she had left the ward for a 'second' and when she returned he had messed and she had to clean it up, so it was decided to leave him in bed all the time. Well, we wouldn't want to give the nurse any work to do would we? After that he was in bed all the time, and adding to the needle stabbing, he was subjected to being pulled and pushed on the bed trying to wash , clean him, etc.. This stressed him out even more. None of the nurses had any idea of caring for a Dementia person. My husband was able to understand what was going on and was quite capable of conversation. So they could not say they did not understand his needs.

Also when he was admitted, I was given a menu for his meals to be selected for the following day. The next day I asked for a menu, to be told they didn't have one as they are collected at 9.30am. So I said could they save one each day for me to fil in ready, for the next day each time. No we couldn't do that. I asked the nurse could she put a note above his bed imforming people my husband was diabetic, and as I did not know the menu, to give him soup and a roll at lunchtime, with fish and vegetables for dinner.BUT NOT FISH AND CHIPS. During the 7 days he was there, I witnessed on various occassions, a plate left for him, LUNCH as well as dinner FISH AND CHIPS. Even on the last 2 days, on the Thursday lunch time FISH AND CHIPS. On the last day I went to get my husband ready to leave at 5pm and at lunchtime and dinne, r low and behold, youv'e guessed it, there it was again FISH AND CHIPS. I was so glad to get my husband home to normal meals and life. It took me 3 months to settle him back to the way he was before going into hospital. If only the doctor had given him a repeat prescription, none of this would have happened.

A few weeks later my husband had his 6 monthly visit to the Dementia memory clinic. When I explained to the Doctor of these events, she was appalled. Apparently Chase Farm Hospital has a Dementia nurse, that should have been called when my husband was admitted. They are there to see that Dementia patients needs are catered for. Not one person at the hospital, said anything about this facility. All nurses should know how to care for these patients, and not treat them as though they are an inconveniece on their ward. I have been told I should have complained, but, what good would that have done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
That is disgusting dmajam. Like I said earlier - everytime mum was admitted within hours her diabetise was all over the place - I have just joined a facebook site called curethenhsnortheat - some of the enteries on there are horrendous too. A lot of people are telling me I should just forget it now that mum has died and stop stressingmyself out but if I do that then people will keep suffering at the hands of thre NHS and nothing will be done. Unfortuantely the reporter never got back to me but there are plenty more and I have a local Councillor coming tomorrow - my mum was too accused of aggresiveness towards the nurses - both my daughter and myself (who don;t have dementia) feel we would have reacted in exactly the same way if we had been treated in that manner but for someone with dementia who is out of the familiar surrounding and surrounded by people they dfon't know it must be terrifying. When mum went in for the last time I tested her blood sugars but I woild load her 'pen' and she injected herself. We alsio had district nurses coming in to do the injections if me or my husband were not available as ourr carers were not allowed to - I suspect that the nurses on the ward stopped ginving my mother her insulin and later on had to put her back on so changed to a longer lasting one more for their own convenience than for my mothers wellbeing.

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Update for anyone who saw my thread a year ago. I are still fighting for justice and protection of dementia, elderly and diabetics on this ward at our hospitals in Hull. Have spoken to Police but not managed to speak to hospital yet.. It is a year since mum passed away but I will not rest until we get better care for us all