Conclusive test for LADA?

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously, having the patient stuck between two or three doctors who disagree is a rotten situation. At that point, the patient is basically getting to choose what the correct diagnosis should be (at least, that’s how it works in the U.S.). None of us went to medical school and, of course, nobody here is qualified to tell you definitively what the correct diagnosis is.

In spite of him/her not being the diabetes expert, your GP could still be right. The idea of getting your blood sugar under control first and putting off a final diagnosis until later doesn’t sound unreasonable to me. In the U.S. there wouldn’t be a clear downside to that. In the UK, OTOH, the benefits seem more generous with Type 1.

Reactions: Claudia 1961

JHPH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
is lada more likely to closely resemble type 1 or type 2?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
is lada more likely to closely resemble type 1 or type 2?
LADA is type 1, meaning it's an autoimmune condition where the immune system kills the insulin producing cells.

It's often initially misdiagnosed as type 2 because it comes on slowly (much slower than the 'traditional childhood T1), so symptoms can be the same as for T2's for a while.

chrisy62

Type of diabetes
LADA
I was treated as a t2 for years but could never control it, so the new nurse that came to our surgery referred me to our local clinic diabetic nurse who listened to all I had to say and requested I had a GAD test, came back as yes t1, they changed my meds and things have never been better. Now my Endo is saying I might have a mixture of both 1 and 2 a type 1 with 2 tendencies, I was wondering was she covering her back in not allowing me to have the test when I’d frequently asked for one? I’m now in the process of a referral to another Endo not heard back yet. I got the referral by asking a Dr at our GP surgery, first one I asked said no so I saw another one who agreed.
It’s always your choice to see another Dr and for a referral to who you like but it may not be that simple if they are in another NICE area due to costs and the amount of patients within there care area taking up spaces.