Conflicting advice

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for advice again everyone.
I am going for a few weeks of not taking my statins to see how it affects my BG readings, i know statins also affect joints in your body and I am getting a lot of pain in knees . I came off simvastatin because of that . and changed to Atovastatin ,
I was originally prescribed them about 10 years ago because of my age not because of a raised cholesterol level, all the GPS seemed to be doing that at the time.
And if my levels drop too low I may stop the Glimepiride for a trial period but not sure if that is a good idea without medical advice.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Common sense - not medical advice - says the only immediate effects of stopping diabetes medication in a type 2 would be a rise in levels, which if you are monitoring you could act on long before any danger or longer term problems presented. Why not ask/inform the nurse/dr beforehand if there is more to consider before taking that action for reassurance if that feels more sensible to you.

some people have found the aches and pains from statins can take some time to pass even after stopping

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting to grips with my meter and now averaging 9.9. Was lower but last few days readings bit higher but been having toilet issues off the Met again.I wondered if that could effect readings? Come from H1 reading 121 6week ago then 16.2 glucose 5week ago so i can see progress. Still staying under 50g Carb a day. What should I be aiming for realistically? Due for 2nd H1 test end of July. As an aside lost a stone in that time also and the other change is I'm now drinking Coffee with Cream as many mentioned on here but only 2 or 3 a day. Pre diagnosis id have the odd cup of Tea but never Coffee. Love the taste of it as a treat but for some reason hate Tea now?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is weird the way our tastes change. Keep doing what you're doing. It is a learning curve. You can always drop the carbs if you want to.

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5 weeks from starting my medication 1mg Glimepiride lowest dose and staring low carbing,usually 30 to 60 carbs a day.
When I started my readings were between 13 and 15 and HbA1c was 90 .
Yesterday 4 rashes of bacon about 11.00 and took my Glimepiride a couple of hours later first reading 4.2 which caused me a bit of concern as I didn’t want it drop below 4 and have an Hypo , so I panicked a bit and had two slices of warburtons milk loaf toasted with butter 8.5 grams Of carbs per slice total about 20 grams with butter
After 2 hours tested again up to 4.9 which I was ok with, not a massive rise.
Should I be worried that I might go under 4 and hypo it’s never happened and wouldn’t know what to do , or just increase carbs a bit, cannot get to talk to GP yet .

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5 weeks from starting my medication 1mg Glimepiride lowest dose and staring low carbing,usually 30 to 60 carbs a day.
When I started my readings were between 13 and 15 and HbA1c was 90 .
Yesterday 4 rashes of bacon about 11.00 and took my Glimepiride a couple of hours later first reading 4.2 which caused me a bit of concern as I didn’t want it drop below 4 and have an Hypo , so I panicked a bit and had two slices of warburtons milk loaf toasted with butter 8.5 grams Of carbs per slice total about 20 grams with butter
After 2 hours tested again up to 4.9 which I was ok with, not a massive rise.
Should I be worried that I might go under 4 and hypo it’s never happened and wouldn’t know what to do , or just increase carbs a bit, cannot get to talk to GP yet .
Long term - eating carbs so you can take medication to counter carbs seems crazy. Medication whilst lowering bgl doesn’t correspond with fewer complications as well as reduced numbers by diet does. So if it’s possible diet is the long term better option and also fewer side effects and contraindications to worry about.

Try and get a conversation with your dr or nurse ASAP. with a view to reducing/stopping The hypo inducing medication whilst on low carb. If numbers begin to rise again too high then you can always go back on something, but in the meantime you reduce or eliminate the risk of hypo whilst you do the lifestyle thing.

Reactions: Toadnbunny

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not on lowering meds. I am very happy in the 4s. Ditch the meds as soon as you can.

C

CelalDari

Thanks everyone I am going down the low carb route . Just wondered about the booklet ,
I have uploaded photos of it

Those dietary guidelines are so useless. I think they were made for type 2 diabetics. I naturally eat fewer carbs a day, without even trying that hard.

Not to mention the caloric intake is so low that many of us would die from being underweight. I lost 1/3 of my body weight from 86kg to 57kg if I followed that I’d probably breakdown my bones for energy

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FWIW, when I was first diagnosed (several years ago), my doc was spouting all the old-school advice, and was very dismissive of aggressive dietary treatments when I raised them. Early this year after a lot of research, I decided to go full keto with some IF thrown in. I was apprehensive raising this with him as I expected him to disapprove, but I found he has done a 180 on the issue. Not only was he supportive, but he told me low carb and fasting were the only non-pharmaceutical treatments that they are seeing consistently effective in clinic.

My takeaway is that while bad advice is still pretty common, the mainstream medical community is coming around to a new understanding on T2D and obesity.

Reactions: ziggy_w and HSSS