Confused about blood sugar

svesve123

I have been measuring my blood sugar at home for several months and I am confused to what is going on? Right when I wake up my blood sugar is around 5.8, then when i get out of bed it drops in just a few minutes to around 5. Is that normal, which one would count as fasting sugar?

Then it is usually pretty normal during the day around 5.5 or lower with no big spikes after lunch. Then in the evening it starts acting strange. If I eat a normal meal it can be around 6.5 after 1 hour, then instead of dropping down it slowly keeps rising to 7-8 mmol and sometimes it stays at that level for 1-2 hours more. This only happens in the evening.

My Hba1c 6 months ago was 5.1%.

My blood sugar almost never "spikes" but instead slowly rises and rarely goes above 7.8 but still doesnt return to normal numbers.

I have not been diagnosed with anything but I'm worried about prediabetes. What does these numbers sound like to you?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @svesve123, As a diabetic but not as professional advice or opinion:
I agree with HSSS. Please look at the normal ranges for BSL including the fact that the standard time to measure after meal BSLs is at the 2 hour mark (or > 90 minutes after except for during pregnancy).
I wonder if you are becoming over worried maybe? Perhaps discuss your concerns with your doctor ?

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been measuring my blood sugar at home for several months and I am confused to what is going on? Right when I wake up my blood sugar is around 5.8, then when i get out of bed it drops in just a few minutes to around 5. Is that normal, which one would count as fasting sugar?

Then it is usually pretty normal during the day around 5.5 or lower with no big spikes after lunch. Then in the evening it starts acting strange. If I eat a normal meal it can be around 6.5 after 1 hour, then instead of dropping down it slowly keeps rising to 7-8 mmol and sometimes it stays at that level for 1-2 hours more. This only happens in the evening.

My Hba1c 6 months ago was 5.1%.

My blood sugar almost never "spikes" but instead slowly rises and rarely goes above 7.8 but still doesnt return to normal numbers.

I have not been diagnosed with anything but I'm worried about prediabetes. What does these numbers sound like to you?

Not pre-diabetic, your HbA1c is normal. Your fasting blood sugar are less than 6.0 mmol, and
7-8 mmol are not high.

You say your blood sugar rarely gods above 7.8 mmol, so being pre-diabetic is very unlikely.