Confused about BS

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I am diet controlled. For last 5 months been doing low carb. I had a downward trend for my daily average BS for three months. I take around 10 readings daily.

However over last few weeks, I have noticed that my BS stays up and doesnt go down that much even over night. As in I either become more insulin resistant OR insulin production has diminished.

E.g this morning fasting was 7.5. had eggs and spinach for breakfast and was around 7 after two hours and 6.6 before lunch. After. Lunch of salad and chicken, it rose to 7.8 after two hrs and then even after 4 hrs of lunch, it's at 7.7.

I have noticed similar trend few time to be asking this forum. Anyone has any explanation or what I could do differently?

If I fast then yes I know I can get it or low 5's after 18 hrs but then it goes back to this state once I start eating.

Fyi,My insulin antibodies test came back normal last week.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I am diet controlled. For last 5 months been doing low carb. I had a downward trend for my daily average BS for three months. I take around 10 readings daily.

However over last few weeks, I have noticed that my BS stays up and doesnt go down that much even over night. As in I either become more insulin resistant OR insulin production has diminished.

E.g this morning fasting was 7.5. had eggs and spinach for breakfast and was around 7 after two hours and 6.6 before lunch. After. Lunch of salad and chicken, it rose to 7.8 after two hrs and then even after 4 hrs of lunch, it's at 7.7.

I have noticed similar trend few time to be asking this forum. Anyone has any explanation or what I could do differently?

If I fast then yes I know I can get it or low 5's after 18 hrs but then it goes back to this state once I start eating.

Fyi,My insulin antibodies test came back normal last week.

nsh2111 - The tests we take are just snapshots in time. In your shoes, I would consider either investing in a Libre to see the 24/7 trace or testing every hour, in addition to the testing you are currently doing. It could possibly be you are dropping, but having bit of a liver dump, which raises the blood sugar, before you then test pre-food. Only more information would tell you that.

Otherwise has you diet or the quantities you are having change? Have you started a new batch of strips in the last few weeks? Sometimes a batch will read higher or lower than the others.

It's very frustrating for you nonetheless. If you can't pin it down, a chat with the medics could be useful.

Reactions: nsh2111

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
nsh2111 - The tests we take are just snapshots in time. In your shoes, I would consider either investing in a Libre to see the 24/7 trace or testing every hour, in addition to the testing you are currently doing. It could possibly be you are dropping, but having bit of a liver dump, which raises the blood sugar, before you then test pre-food. Only more information would tell you that.

Otherwise has you diet or the quantities you are having change? Have you started a new batch of strips in the last few weeks? Sometimes a batch will read higher or lower than the others.

It's very frustrating for you nonetheless. If you can't pin it down, a chat with the medics could be useful.
Thanks @DCUKMod . I have started a new batch of strips but I have seen such behaviour few time ok different batches to believe a rogue batch.

I have been looking for libre but can't get anywhere. They seem to be sold out or unavailable on abbot website. I do agree that only libre will provide me true profile.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went through a stage when my readings were much higher. I’ve since noticed how much stress affects me. Also someone in here suggested to me that grazing might affect BS reading. Thank you whoever that was as yes, grazing makes a big difference. Exercise helps but for me only if I don’t go mad. Fasting doesn’t seem to work for me. Another thing I’ve noticed that helps (again read somewhere) is no protein with my evening meal. Good luck.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went through a stage when my readings were much higher. I’ve since noticed how much stress affects me. Also someone in here suggested to me that grazing might affect BS reading. Thank you whoever that was as yes, grazing makes a big difference. Exercise helps but for me only if I don’t go mad. Fasting doesn’t seem to work for me. Another thing I’ve noticed that helps (again read somewhere) is no protein with my evening meal. Good luck.
i agree with you and i am same. exercise makes a small dent after 5- 6 hours. No protein with dinner will seriously limit my food choices :) but will try to see if it makes a difference. thanks

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm trying hard to see how eating protein in the evening could have much if any upping BG effect. But I have read some folks in this forum who say eating a protein source raises their BG.

Before cutting out the nutrient dense (usually with low or no effect on BGs!) food, I would definitely do a protein eating experiment with your BG meter. Otherwise starting a new regime based on the protein raising BG principle when it is not the case for you would be very wrong-minded.