1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused About Correction Dose Calculation

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by Rosieroo, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Rosieroo

Rosieroo LADA · Well-Known Member

Saw my consultant today and he told me I may need to ad a correction dose of insulin if my levels are high before I have my meal. So I usually tale about 4-5 units wi th my meals. He said for example if my levels were 17 before (Which sadly they were one day last weel) then my target is to get it to 7 so half that and add that amount of units on top of my usual 4_5 units.
    I've probably got it all wrong and came away confused .
    Can anyone help clear this up and explain I easy terms. X

2. edan

edan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So you are using 1u drops 2mmol?
    Bg is 17 want to get to 7 means you want to drop 10mmol. Using 1u drops 2 that’s an extra 5u.
    If bg is 10 and want to get to 7 then that’s 3mmol difference. Half that means an extra 1.5u.
    Or can you call and get them to explain if you’re confused?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rosieroo

Rosieroo LADA · Well-Known Member

Thank you. Yes that does sound how he was explaining it. My consultant is not the most approachable so I didn't feel comfortable asking him to explain more which I know i should. I'm.going to see about changing to see someone else.

Appreciate your help

• Hug Hug x 1
  4. Grumpy ole thing

Grumpy ole thing Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Rosieroo , if you have a meter it might be worth testing quite often as sometimes the ratios aren't exact. I hope you soon fine a more approachable consultant, do you have a DSN who could help?

5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you been on a course for carb-counting? It seems many people on here have. Maybe that would help you. With your level being 17 before eating, something doesn't seem right about your doses. Good luck, hope things will get better for you soon!

6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh, and do you test 2 hours after eating as well? That will tell you a lot about the doses you need for a particular meal!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook