Confused about diabetes!

martindeston

HELP!! I an type two and thought i had a grasp of diabetes, but after reading all the contradicting posts i am now totally confused. Can anybody help me put my mind to rest again? Video links or websites, anything plz. Btw everytime i go see my gp he says i have type 1 but all other medical professionals say type 2. See how confused i am?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HELP!! I an type two and thought i had a grasp of diabetes, but after reading all the contradicting posts i am now totally confused. Can anybody help me put my mind to rest again? Video links or websites, anything plz. Btw everytime i go see my gp he says i have type 1 but all other medical professionals say type 2. See how confused i am?
Can you tell us who you’ve seen and what tests you’ve had and what medications if any you are on and how long this has been going on for? It might help us help you unpick what’s happening to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @martindeston , welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us a bit more about your diabetes?
What medication are you on?
Have you asked you GP why he says you have T1 while other health care professionals say T2?

Reactions: EllieM

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You have the right to check your medical records to see what the diagnosis is. Take a look at your hb1c (12 week average bg) and are you taking any medications or injections?
Then here's a couple of recommendations which pertain to type 2 if you think you are in this group (90% of all diabetetics).

https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/manchester-fung DR JASON FUNG and also The Diabetes Code by the same guy.
https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/the-science/ FRESHWELL LOW CARB PRACTICE (GP LEAD)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

As others have said a little bit more information may help us help you :)

When I was diagnosed I was in my 50s and overweight. These 2 factors along with a family history of type 2 diabetes on both sides of my family (thanks mum and dad) lead to it being much more likely type 2 than type 1. So age, weight and family history can be relevant in deciding what type is more likely.

After going very low carb my levels are now in the normal range without any medication at all- again another indication of type 2. So levels and medication can be relevant.

It's actually your right and also important for you to know what your diagnosis is. Otherwise you can't make decisions about your health.

It can feel like there is a lot to get your head around and yes there is a lot of conflicting information on the internet. This place is full of people who have been diagnosed with a variety of types of diabetes and the collective knowledge here is impressive. So a little bit ≥more information from you will allow a lot more advice.

welcome :)

Reactions: EllieM