Confused about post meal values and when to test

dannydxb

Hello,
I was diagnosed with prediabetes a while back with an hbA1c of 6.0 . My fasting blood sugar almost always is below 6. My post meal blood sugar at 2 hours when I have a low carb meal is mostly below 7.2 after goes below 6.1 after 31/2 hours of eating.
Lately I have noticed that after a meal with some carbs my blood sugar is rising constantly until 3 hours and goes up-to 7.8 and then suddenly goes down below 6.0 at the 4th hour. Each time its different. Today most meal (fasting) it was 5.4. when to 7.6 at 2hrs 30 mins and 5.6 at 3hrs 30 mins post meal (had a slice of bread, milk, yogurt, some fried dumplings with chicken and hummus).

Attachments

• 2020-04-24 2342.pdf
    114.3 KB · Views: 334

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello,
I was diagnosed with prediabetes a while back with an hbA1c of 6.0 . My fasting blood sugar almost always is below 6. My post meal blood sugar at 2 hours when I have a low carb meal is mostly below 7.2 after goes below 6.1 after 31/2 hours of eating.
Lately I have noticed that after a meal with some carbs my blood sugar is rising constantly until 3 hours and goes up-to 7.8 and then suddenly goes down below 6.0 at the 4th hour. Each time its different. Today most meal (fasting) it was 5.4. when to 7.6 at 2hrs 30 mins and 5.6 at 3hrs 30 mins post meal (had a slice of bread, milk, yogurt, some fried dumplings with chicken and hummus).

Take a look at this page.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
According to this table a hba1c of 6 correlates to an average blood glucose of 7, not too far off from what you've been seeing. Keeping in mind there is some variation from person to person in how blood glucose relates to hba1c and inaccuracies in all testing devices your own testing and your hba1c seem to match.
(looks like you use the second line for hba1c and the 4th for blood glucose. You can ignore the other two.)

Have you read our 'newly diagnosed' information yet? I found it very helpful when I was first diagnosed. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

image-asset.jpeg