Confused about protein

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been newly diagnosed as prediabetic (HbA1c of 45) a month ago, the news was given by telephone, with no advice apart from the usual lose weight (my BMI is 26.0) take more exercise and eat carbs with every meal. Don't bother with testing yourself, we'll do it again in a year.
Thanks to this fantastic forum I've realised where I was going wrong, I've never had a sweet tooth but love my bread, rice, pasta, etc. I bought a meter and have been following a low carb high fat diet and have lost 11 pounds from my stomach area in the last 4 weeks which I'm delighted with. I haven't found it difficult at all and I'm never hungry, no carb cravings.
I have a few questions.......So the weight loss is great but getting my BG out of the prediabetic range has been trickier. Reading a lot of the posts on the forum, many people get non-diabetic BG results fairly quickly. Most of my fasting BGs in the last month have been between 6 and 6.5. I only had one morning in 4 weeks at 5.8 since then it's back in the 6's. How long did it take people to see fasting BG's in the non-diabetic range? Am I being too impatient?
I work out the carbs, protein, and fat content of every meal using myfitnesspal and weigh everything I eat so I can see exactly which foods affect my BG. Most days I've been under 50g of carbs, a couple over but always under 80g, with my diet being around 60% fat, 15% carbs, and 25% protein. Last night my main meal was quite protein and fat heavy, but very light on carbs. (ham and cheese salad with mayonnaise) BG dropped a bit at 1 hr, by 2 hours BG had gone up and was still the same at 3 hours. Under 7.8, so I know that's within range, but why didn't it come down? Was it the protein content of the meal that delayed the spike? I know you have to avoid high protein, but how do you plan a menu that doesn't contain many carbs without adding much protein? For breakfast I had half a toasted lidl high protein roll with butter, a poached egg and a grilled tomato, lunch was tuna (in oil) and avocado salad with mayo.
Even eating strictly to the plan - no cheating - I only occasionally get a BG in the 5's, mostly they are 6's before eating and 7's after 2 hours.
So do I hope that when I've lost a few more pounds (4 more to get a healthy BMI) my lower BG readings will follow automatically? Or should I try to go even lower carb? I've upped the exercise from before, too. I've looked at the menus that people have posted and if they are low carb, they seem to be high protein. Not sure what to do next.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been newly diagnosed as prediabetic (HbA1c of 45) a month ago, the news was given by telephone, with no advice apart from the usual lose weight (my BMI is 26.0) take more exercise and eat carbs with every meal. Don't bother with testing yourself, we'll do it again in a year.
Thanks to this fantastic forum I've realised where I was going wrong, I've never had a sweet tooth but love my bread, rice, pasta, etc. I bought a meter and have been following a low carb high fat diet and have lost 11 pounds from my stomach area in the last 4 weeks which I'm delighted with. I haven't found it difficult at all and I'm never hungry, no carb cravings.
I have a few questions.......So the weight loss is great but getting my BG out of the prediabetic range has been trickier. Reading a lot of the posts on the forum, many people get non-diabetic BG results fairly quickly. Most of my fasting BGs in the last month have been between 6 and 6.5. I only had one morning in 4 weeks at 5.8 since then it's back in the 6's. How long did it take people to see fasting BG's in the non-diabetic range? Am I being too impatient?
I work out the carbs, protein, and fat content of every meal using myfitnesspal and weigh everything I eat so I can see exactly which foods affect my BG. Most days I've been under 50g of carbs, a couple over but always under 80g, with my diet being around 60% fat, 15% carbs, and 25% protein. Last night my main meal was quite protein and fat heavy, but very light on carbs. (ham and cheese salad with mayonnaise) BG dropped a bit at 1 hr, by 2 hours BG had gone up and was still the same at 3 hours. Under 7.8, so I know that's within range, but why didn't it come down? Was it the protein content of the meal that delayed the spike? I know you have to avoid high protein, but how do you plan a menu that doesn't contain many carbs without adding much protein? For breakfast I had half a toasted lidl high protein roll with butter, a poached egg and a grilled tomato, lunch was tuna (in oil) and avocado salad with mayo.
Even eating strictly to the plan - no cheating - I only occasionally get a BG in the 5's, mostly they are 6's before eating and 7's after 2 hours.
So do I hope that when I've lost a few more pounds (4 more to get a healthy BMI) my lower BG readings will follow automatically? Or should I try to go even lower carb? I've upped the exercise from before, too. I've looked at the menus that people have posted and if they are low carb, they seem to be high protein. Not sure what to do next.

Like so many things in life, I'm afraid, there is no hard and fast rule for any of this, but you have the guiding principles about right.

Vis-a-vis protein, it doesn't so much delay rises for me, but it I go heavy on the protein, I find it takes a while for whatever number I achieve to really come back down. Some people can find if they have a real protein feast their bloods stay just a bit up for a day, or longer. @Andrew Colvin has a humorous (unless you're him) anecdote about an Angentinian meat feast, which he may share with you.

As for really slowing and deferring blood rises, for me, that usually would be a fat heavy meal, but although it might defer a rise, for me, the numbers usually come right back down again.

When I started all this modified eating business, I noticed my bloods would notch down, then sit at that level for a period, then notch down again. It wasn't a gentle slope downwards. The reductions in my bloods did go alongside some trimming up too.

If you're looking to trim your bloods back, then you have some choices:

A - wait a little longer and see what happens as your waistline reduces further
B - trim back the protein a bit. If you do this, you may need to up the fat you are consuming so that you are eating enough and or maybe or not hungry
C- reduce your carbs further and see how that goes. If you transpired to be hungry, eat more fat, not protein

Those aren't in any particular order. I just listed them as they came to my head. In your shoes, I might be inclined to consider B or C if I still had weight to lose.

If you are particularly unlucky you might have to go really quite trim to see the results you really seem to want.

Have you read any of Professor Roy Taylor's work, where he talks about Personal Fat Thresholds? I'm not suggesting you would necessarily do the Newcastle Diet, but his work is worth reading, even if just for his descriptions of insulin resistance and how some of us end up becoming diabetics. Dr Google or a forum search would set you off in his direction.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with AndBreathe. All good points and options to test
Protein is the only thing I weigh. Anything over 3 oz raises me but I am T1. Still raised me as a 2. I need the fat to lower the spike but I can't eat 80 c a day either. I stay under 30 and all in veg. I need a balanced meal so some veggies, some P and more fat. As 1 now I need to take insulin for 50% of my protein as well as carbs so P does matter. Balancing fat P and veg is individual but I find a good handful of vegies,, 2 or 3 oz protein and a good amount of fat keeps things much more stable but YMMV

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So my anecdote for you is that I went to a restaurant that gives you a piece of card that is green on one side and red on the other. Whilst it is showing green they continually walk round and carve off different cuts of beef onto your plate. You can imagine how much you eat. Well I went to bed on great numbers (in the 6s), but when I woke the next morning I was at 5.6 (My fasting was always 4.8 to 5.2). This got me a little worried so I tested every 30 mins to check it fell back (had no breakfast as you could guess I wasnt hungry). Well that elevated level continued until 11:30! It was always exactly 5.6 on my meter (no variance)!

I have repeated tests with protein and find that I seem to process excess protein that I have eaten over night. Beef and liver seems to take the longest. I alsoo find I also need the loo at about 4 on these nights.

Hope that helps

Reactions: 4 people

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your very helpful replies. What you're all saying makes a lot of sense. AndBreathe I will also look up about fat thresholds, very useful. I suspect I may have a way to go before I get to mine!