confused about the newcastle diet

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i know there are a few threads about the ND, but there are so many, i am making my eyes go fuzzy with all the scrolling! lol

Is the ND just Shakes, Soups and Bars?
i know i can cope with it on the shakes and bars, but not the soups or any other hot food!
What do i say to my GP? i have printed out the Doctors notes, but it says nothing about what the diet actually involves...
I dont know what my GP would have to get up on his computer screen, to print off a prescription etc.. if he doesnt know.. and i dont know.. i wont get be getting anywhere!
I need to be properly informed, as my GP is one of those stubborn ones, who will want every single fact to agree to this! i am extremely doubtful that he will allow it to be honest, just because of the type of doctor he is!

So basically..:
How do i get him to find and prescribe it?
Is it shakes and bars?
How long do people usually go on it for?

Hope someone can help!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the information (except the bit about needing a teaspoon of oil a day to avoid gallstones which is at the Optifast site) is contained in various documents available at the Newcastle Uni site:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

The best thing to do is download/print all of the PDF files about the protocol from that site.

The original diet was 3 Optifast meal replacement shakes a day - around 600 calories plus 200 calories of the vegetables specified in the diet programme.

There is a problem in that Optifast is prescription only in the UK - we're luckier here in Australia as it is sold in pharmacies.

If you can't get your GP on board, then is the time to worry about alternative ways of tackling it.

Some of the people here have modified the diet to suit themselves, especially if their doctor doesn't support them - hence the various shakes, meal replacements, etc.

Some people have used just real food at the 800 calorie level to achieve the same result.

There is also a very good video by Professor Taylor that explains the science behind the diet:

http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94

Reactions: 2 people

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well only 2 more days until i see my GP. Im 99.9% he will say no to the ND! However, i do plan on buying the Exante shakes and bars, at the end of July when i have a full wage packet! I'll be honest.. i REALLY cant wait to do it!
I have previously ( many many years ago) done the Lighter Life diet. Same thing as these diets, but less choice of flavours, and very expensive. I lost around 1stone 10lb if i remember correctly.. but due to the cost,i could no longer carry on the diet, and i didnt get the chance to start the last phase, which was how to start gradually eating normal food again. So in time, i put most of the weight on again!.
However, this was the Easiest diet i have tried! Cutting out 'normal' food for me, made it sooo much easier to do!
I have learnt from past mistakes, The cost of Exante is MUCH cheaper, so i know i can do it properly.
Im also older and wiser now! (i hope wiser!) :)
wish me luck for Thursday!

Reactions: 6 people

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing the same but I find Extante is the dearest option. I'm waiting for a delivery today from Shake that Weight. Good luck kazlinks!

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh really? ill have a look at that then! seeing as i have some time to decide.. :)
Good luck!

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
Is any meal.replacement shake like "whey" good enough...I.find that reasonably cheap.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
right, well ive been to see the doctor.. and he said he has never heard of it.. and wouldnt know how to prescribe it to me, and as he isnt a diabetic expert, he said i will need to speak to the diabetes consultant in our area. He seemed open to the idea, which i have to say, really really shocked me! I think maybe the way i told him (appearing confident!) and saying i really want it no matter what he says.. may have helped him listen to me!
He did explain that it may not be available in this area, but he has referred me to the top man, which im happy about, as he is taking me seriously!
I may have a wait to see him, but its a start!
However, i would love to hear about anyone else who has done other versions!
prices, carb amounts in them all etc. x

Reactions: 4 people

michalg65

When doing the ND how do you prevent having hypos? When I tried doing HD using a shake bought over the counter from H&B after few days experienced massive headaches, palpitations, night sweats and generally felt unwell. Is this normal and what happens when you start to exercise as part of the process?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When doing the ND how do you prevent having hypos? When I tried doing HD using a shake bought over the counter from H&B after few days experienced massive headaches, palpitations, night sweats and generally felt unwell. Is this normal and what happens when you start to exercise as part of the process?
If you are on meds that can cause hypos, you should not be trying to follow this kind of diet without medical supervision.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well, ive done a couple of days experimenting! im trying slimfast shakes, and superdrug own meal replacement bars... blood sugar is pretty good so far! also lost nearly 2lbs, in about 4 days. :)
im also eating one main meal a day, and im having berries and a handful of nuts too. so far so good!
not heard from the top diabetic man yet.. guessing that could be a while! Happy trying this though so far.. im just gobsmacked that it hasnt sent my sugar sky high as i thought the amount of sugar in the slimfast would affect me.. but it hasnt as yet! yay!

Reactions: 5 people

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well, i have an appointment through with the top man..it is the End of September!!! Im hoping that the slimfast shake, superdrug meal replacement bar and healthy meal each evening will do the trick for me, so i can sort of prove a point to the 'top man'!
To be able to do the whole ND thing would be awesome, but im being sensible (for a change!) and doing the shake/bar thing along with a good meal each day. this way i am still eating a meal, but so far im doing ok on the shakes and bars! i eat berries and a few nuts each day too. usually in the late evening when i feel a bit peckish. Still taking my 1000mg metformin too. my BS levels are brilliant the majority of the time, as long as i dont eat too many carbs in my meal! :)
I also now have a real reason for losing weight.. i have booked a holiday to Tenerife for Next July! So ive got really good motivation to lose weight now! :)