Confused Again

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

So I’m still learning what I can and can’t eat to control my blood sugar. After this mornings high reading I opted to skip breakfast and went straight to dinner. 3 hrs after dinner my reading was 7.5 which I thought wasn’t too bad.
For tea I had 2 boiled eggs and a handful of dry roasted peanuts.
3hrs after and my blood sugar was up to 9.7, I wasn’t expecting that so checked another finger and that read 10.4 so still confused I went back to the first finger and this time it read 11.9.
Really not sure what to make if it, hands where washed before hand so don’t think it’s contamination but starting to wonder if my meter is telling the truth

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is a variance with all meters but what you are seeing is normal. Our blood cells don't march along like squaddies so take the average of your three readings and record that. BTW, peanuts (which are a legume not a true nut) arn't really the best of nuts to choose. Try almonds or walnuts or macadamias for a nut with lower carbs.

Reactions: DJC3

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would you expect a handful of peanuts to cause my blood sugar to jump that much

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am OK with peanuts but no more than 30g per portion. Others can't eat them. It all depends upon your personal tolerances. You need to taste and test to find out what works for you.

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ll cross the peanuts off the list then, that will be a miss

Reactions: 1spuds

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have sorted my meal plan for tomorrow out.

Breakfast : bacon and scrambled eggs
Lunch : mackerel salad
Dinner : piri piri chicken with cauliflower rice

Does anything on that list look wrong, should I see a stable blood sugar through the day.

Reactions: DJC3 and 1spuds

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have sorted my meal plan for tomorrow out.

Breakfast : bacon and scrambled eggs
Lunch : mackerel salad
Dinner : piri piri chicken with cauliflower rice

Does anything on that list look wrong, should I see a stable blood sugar through the day.
What will you be drinking,@pau1200 ? As that can have an effect, too.
Are you using a ready made sauce for the piri piri chicken? If so, check the carb content in the ingredient list. Some have a lot of sugar added. Generally it is best to have lower than 5g carb per 100g.

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What will you be drinking,@pau1200 ? As that can have an effect, too.
Are you using a ready made sauce for the piri piri chicken? If so, check the carb content in the ingredient list. Some have a lot of sugar added. Generally it is best to have lower than 5g carb per 100g.

I will have a few cups of coffee throughout the day with a dash of milk no sugar. Might try and get some cream if I can.
I will double check the piri piri sauce to see what the carb content it, just trying to make the food tasty. Will be the first time having cauliflower rice.

Rest of the day I will be on either water or no sugar squash.

I do need to try and find something else for breakfast for the rest of the week.

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I woke up with a blood sugar of 10.5 this morning which is what I went to bed with. Breakfast is done, your right about the squash it’s no added sugar not sugar free so I’ll skip that for now and stick to water.

Is cream better in coffee than milk, if so what sort of cream is best

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you expect a handful of peanuts to cause my blood sugar to jump that much

Look on the back of the pack and see how many carbs there are.. also a "handful" isn't a great unit of measurement so maybe weigh some out, eat and put the bag away.
I have very big hands for example.. a "handful" for me would be a whole pack of macadamias 100g.

Reactions: pau1200

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So strawberries and cream would be an ok desert then

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

So I’m still learning what I can and can’t eat to control my blood sugar. After this mornings high reading I opted to skip breakfast and went straight to dinner. 3 hrs after dinner my reading was 7.5 which I thought wasn’t too bad.
For tea I had 2 boiled eggs and a handful of dry roasted peanuts.
3hrs after and my blood sugar was up to 9.7, I wasn’t expecting that so checked another finger and that read 10.4 so still confused I went back to the first finger and this time it read 11.9.
Really not sure what to make if it, hands where washed before hand so don’t think it’s contamination but starting to wonder if my meter is telling the truth

Just checked 2 diff bags of dry roast.. one had 7g of carbs the other 15g per 100g so you do need to be careful about choices.
Always check the back of the pack for the carbs per 100g I try to avoid anything more than 5g per 100g. So peanuts are out anyway..

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just checked 2 diff bags of dry roast.. one had 7g of carbs the other 15g per 100g so you do need to be careful about choices.
Always check the back of the pack for the carbs per 100g I try to avoid anything more than 5g per 100g. So peanuts are out anyway..

I’ve just dug the packer out of the bin and there 10g per 100g so they are ticked off the list.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So strawberries and cream would be an ok desert then

Again it will depend on the quantity of strawberries.. if you have a whole punnet you'll still be getting a big carb load for example a Waitrose 400g punnet @ 6.1g per 100g(which I could have easily eaten in the bad old days) contains 24.5g of carbs. That's my usual intake for 4-5 days..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @pau1200

Can I suggest that you finish filling in your profile details on your profile page? Type of diabetes, what medication you are on (if any). You can also add details into a signature, if you like, which can help people understand where you are coming from, when you ask a question.

Sometimes, details like that can make a big difference to what answers you get on the forum.

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

On my list of things todo is to update my profile which I will do.

So today has been a better day for me, adjusted my meal plan a little to reduce the carbs even more and I even had some berries and Greek yoghurt which I love now.

This mornings reading on waking was 10.5, had bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast and 2 hrs later reading was 10.2. Had my mackerel salad and 2 hrs later it was at 8.5. 2 hrs after my chicken and cauliflower rice(undecided on that) and my berries it’s was still at 8.5. Had a few coffees throughout the day with milk so pretty pleased.

Still along way to go but havn,t been sleepy today and feel less sluggish if that makes sense.
Just thought I would share some positive news :)

Results from hb1ac back tomorrow so won’t let it get me down because I can see a way forward thanks to all the support I have had from this group