Confused.me

Rubette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
numbers, what do they all mean?

My nurse said we should get the number down to 50. Fifty what, her explanation didn’t help me much, mainly because within a few minutes if her telling me, I’d forgotten! It’s an age thing....

And if any of you have routine appointments with diabetic nurse, are you keeping it or staying in isolation. I’m an ‘extremely vulnerable clinically’ patient due to no immune system and so have been in self isolation five weeks now, along with my husband, and have cancelled an appointment for fear of catching this terrible virus. No matter how careful the surgery is, there is still a small, dry small admittedly, chance of this happening. Don’t intend risking it, and no doubt you all think me a foolish old woman.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not at all. You must do what you think is right in the current situation. And to be honest it’s unlikely the routine appt will make much difference and you can probably learn a lot more on here. So welcome to the forum.

50 is 50mmol and the result of hb1ac test. This is an average of the blood glucose levels over the last 10-12 weeks. Do you know what it is now? This can be got by phoning the surgery or looking online if you have that access.

I’m assuming you are newly diagnosed. What have you been told about how to reduce it down? Medication? Diet?

if you look in my signature below there are a couple of links about how most type 2 in the forums manage their condition with food, very successfully for many. Take a read and come and ask questions.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on any medication and do you use a glucose meter?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this an advice from a doctor or just a newbie?
Whilst not absolute, looking at the number of messages a member has posted will give some idea of if they have been a member of this forum for a short or long time. You for example show as only having posted 6 messages.
This does not necessarily correlate to knowledge or experience as a newbie on the forum may still know a lot but it is one factor in assessing a reply. The number of responses (thumbs up/tick/informative etc) can be another guide. If you stick around you’ll learn whose opinions tend to agree with and who does a lot of evidence based research and who is balanced etc. I’d always recommend doing your own research using the info you get here as a starting point, in the early days especially

edit to add members do not give medical advice, just the benefit of their experience and sometimes very extensive reading and study. A few may be drs but are not acting as such in here.

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The information about blood glucose ranges can be found on this site, as HSSS wrote, a 50 will be the HbA1c result. If you buy a meter to help control your blood sugars, as many of us do, then this usually gives reading for the approx level of sugar (glucose) in your blood as a spot check.

I am staying home due to other conditions/meds. And the GP surgery cancelled all my regular diabetic checks 3-4 weeks ago. But my T2 is well controlled by a low carbohydrate diet so they aren't concerned.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html