Confused, need help?!

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugar levels havent been over 10 in over a week, ive been healthy eating and having pretty much no carbs so I cut out all my novorapid. I kept having hypos so I cut down dramatically on my lantus and am now barely having any. This has stopped the hypos and my sugars are still really good and where my doctors wants them to be. However ive just tested my keytones and its positive, I dont understand. I thought your body only gets keytones when your sugars are really high? Does anyone know? Or is it because ive barely had any insulin? im so lost with all of this.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EllieLou said:
My sugar levels havent been over 10 in over a week, ive been healthy eating and having pretty much no carbs so I cut out all my novorapid. I kept having hypos so I cut down dramatically on my lantus and am now barely having any. This has stopped the hypos and my sugars are still really good and where my doctors wants them to be. However ive just tested my keytones and its positive, I dont understand. I thought your body only gets keytones when your sugars are really high? Does anyone know? Or is it because ive barely had any insulin? im so lost with all of this.

Keytones are usually created when there isn't enough insulin in the body to convert glucose to energy. When this happens the body converts fat stores to obtain the required energy instead. Usually keytones appear with high blood sugars because the insulin is insufficient to convert our food intake, but it can happen when the body needs glucose but there isn't any food to be converted. The body then acts in the same way as described, converting fats and keytones are the by-product of this. So most people will expect keytones to be a side effect of high blood sugar levels because most of us tend to eat too much for our insulin intake at some stage, but they can also be apparent with low sugars too.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
Sorry, let me explain.

Ketones are caused when the body burns fat. High sugars cause ketones because the body is starved of energy (we don't have the insulin to turn our sugar into energy) so it uses the fat. Or something like that. Well, low sugars work in a very similar way. You don't have the sugar to turn into energy, so the body goes to the fat. People who are starving to death have ketones.