Confused new readings

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been type 2 for couple years managed with meds to reduce hba1c from 82 to 52 reading were good, until I accidently forgot my meds for two nights a couple of wks ago, since then have struggled to control blood sugar todays fasting was 12.7mmol and been averaging at 15 - 19mmols all through the day despite no difference to diet, I did have surgery 7wks ago.?? If this contributed. Any advice

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of days of missed meds shouldn't take too long to come back into order, and inflammation can sometimes impact blood sugars, so if that's an issue following surgery, it may be contributing.
What sort of numbers were you getting before this and what's your diet like in general? I'm just wondering if there's any way that you can reduce your carbs a little to see if that lowers your numbers.
If they are staying the same and nothing is working it may be worth putting a call in to your Nurse / GP... your medication may need a little tweaking.

Reactions: Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jen74 - I'd tend to agree with @luceeloo that your surgery will likely be having and impact on those blood scores. Other factors could be reduced exercise/mobility, poor sleep, stress.

How long ago was your surgery, and was it considered minor or major? Of course, for me, any surgery is a big thing, but just trying to gauge how long your recovery period could be expected to be.

When I had some surgery a couple of years ago, my bloods didn't go up a lot, but they did go up - especially when I was dealing with a slightly unfortunate complication of the surgery, but it all came back into line.

I don't know if you have changed your diet at all in this period, but I certainly tried to eat particularly well during my period leading to and after my surgery to try to achieve the best outcome in terms on healing and so on.